Çelikler Yumurtalık power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Çelikler Yumurtalık power station is a cancelled power station in Gölovası, Yumurtalık, Adana, Türkiye.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Çelikler Yumurtalık power station||Gölovası, Yumurtalık, Adana, Türkiye||36.86788, 35.90949 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 2, Unit 1: 36.86788, 35.90949
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 2||cancelled||coal - bituminous||660||supercritical||–||–|
|Unit 1||cancelled||coal - bituminous||660||supercritical||–||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 2||Çelikler Termik Elektrik Üretim [100.0%]|
|Unit 1||Çelikler Termik Elektrik Üretim [100.0%]|
Project-level coal details
- Coal source(s): imported (Russia, South America, Indonesia, South Africa)
In December 2014, Çelikler Holding announced plans to build a two-unit, $1 billion coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 1,320 MW in Yumurtalık district of Adana Province. An environmental permitting public hearing was held in Gölovası in December 2014.
As of December 2018 there had been no further news about this project and it appears to have been cancelled.
In December 2014, it was reported that in the village of Gölovasi, Yumurtalik, an environmental impact assessment (EIA) information meeting was held with local people for the Çelikler thermal plant. According to the report, there would be risks such as 26 million tons of coal burned annually and 750 thousand tons of ash. One of the local fisherman, Tahsin Düzengen, expressed deep concerns about the damages to fish and marine life as a result of the thermal plant.
Articles and Resources
- ÇELİKLER YUMURTALIK TERMİK ENERJİ SANTRALİ: ÇEVRESEL ETKI DEĞERLENDIRMESI BASVURU DOSYASI (Environmental Impact Assessment Application File), EN-ÇEV Enerji Çevre Yatırımları ve Danışmanlığı, 25 Nov. 2014.
- Çelikler Enerji Yumurtalık'a Enerji Yatırımı Yapıyor, Yumurtalık Haber, 2 Dec. 2014.
- Felaket senaryosu gibi ÇED raporu, Evrensel, 20 Dec. 2014.
- “EIA report such as disaster scenario”, Evrensei.net, Translated by Google, December 20, 2014.
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.