Celorico–Spanish Border Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Celorico–Spanish Border Pipeline is a proposed gas pipeline in Portugal.
- Owner: REN Gasodutos, S.A. / Enagas, S.A.
- Length: 162 km / 101 miles
- Cost: $136,850,000
- Diameter: 28 inches
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2025
The Celourico-Vale de Frades project would be the first stage of an international pipeline that would continue 86 kilometers across the border to Zamora, Spain. The Spanish section of the pipeline would be known as the Spain-Portugal Interconnector Gas Pipeline. Both pipelines form part of a larger international pipeline project designed to create a single gas market within the European Union. Some of the gas imported from Spain would also be stored at caverns in the salt dome formations of Carriço, Portugal for potential use in a future emergency.
The European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (ENTSOG) refers to the project using the project codes "TRA-A-283". Together with "TRA-N-168" (Zamora-Barbolla-Adradas Gas Pipeline) it is a part of the "WEST 02" project group which is the first stage of the 3rd Interconnection between Portugal and Spain project.
The European Union's 2021-2030 National Energy and Climate Plan for Portugal states that the Celorico–Vale de Frades gas pipeline is directly dependent on completion of the South Transit Eastern Pyrenees (STEP) Gas Pipeline between France and Spain. However, the latter project was canceled in early 2019, leaving the future of the Celorico–Vale de Frades project unclear.
The latest edition of the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (ENTSOG) Ten-Year Network Development Plan (TYNDP) published in November 2020 notes in its Project Details Annex that, since the last TYNDP, REN Gasodutos is predicting a three year delay to the anticipated project schedule. This is in part due to a rejection in 2018 of the project's environmental impact assessment by the Portuguese national environmental authority. As a result, the company is required to: adjust the initial route, though maintaining the same point of interconnection with Spain; prepare a new Front-End-Engineering Design (FEED), and; restart the environmental permitting process.
ADVID, the Douro Valley Winegrowers' Association, has expressed its opposition to the Celourico-Vale de Frades pipeline via protests and petitions to Portugal's environmental agency APA (Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente). Citing the potential for damage to the Douro Valley's unique cultural and viticultural traditions, which date back to Roman times and have been granted UNESCO World Heritage status, ADVID has requested that the pipeline be rerouted away from the demarcated Douro wine-growing region.
Articles and resources
- ENTSOG TYNDP 2020 - Annex A - Projects Tables, ENTSOG, accessed January 2020.
- REN Gasodutos, S.A., ENAGAS, S.A. (2018). "3rd Interconnection between Portugal and Spain" (PDF). ren.pt. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (November 25, 2020). "TYNDP 2020 - MAP – Transmission" (PDF). ENTSOG. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- INNOVATION AND NETWORKS EXECUTIVE AGENCY. "Engineering studies (basic and detailed design) for the development of the PCI - 3rd Interconnection between Portugal and Spain". Europa.eu. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- Priorit Corridor North South Gas Interconnections in Western Europe (NSI West Gas), CIRCABC European Commission, accessed January 2020.
- "South Gas Regional Investment Plan 2019" (PDF). Enagás, GRTgaz, Reganosa, REN Gasodutos, Térega. Retrieved September 24, 2020.
- "Underground Storage". REN. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- "PORTUGAL: NATIONAL ENERGY AND CLIMATE PLAN 2021-2030 (NECP 2030) (p. 47)" (PDF). European Union. December 2019.
- "Future of the MidCat project in limbo". South EU Summit. February 5, 2019.
- Ten-Year Network Development Plan 2020: Annex A – Project Details, European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas, accessed Dec. 22, 2020
- "ADVID contra traçado do gasoduto Celorico-Vale de Frades por atravessar Região Demarcada do Douro". Agricultura e Mar Actual. August 4, 2017.