Central Brazil Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Central Brazil Gas Pipeline, known in Portuguese as the Gasoduto Brasil Central, is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Brazil.
The pipeline would run from a junction with the Gasbol Gas Pipeline in São Carlos, São Paulo state to Recanto das Emas, near Brasilia. Other cities along the pipeline's projected 905-kilometer route include Ribeirão Preto, Uberaba, Uberlândia, Itumbiara, Goiânia, Caldazinha and Silvânia.
- Operator: TGBC (Transportadora de Gás Brasil Central)
- Parent Company: TGBC (Transportadora de Gás Brasil Central)
- Capacity: 3.75 MMcm/d (132 MMcf/d)
- Length: 905 km / 562 miles
- Diameter: 14 inches
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2025
The Central Brazil Gas Pipeline was originally conceived in the late 1990s as a northern extension of the Gasbol Gas Pipeline, designed to transport imported Bolivian natural gas north from Gasbol's São Carlos hub to Brazil's capital city, Brasilia. Sponsor TGBC began seeking permits for the pipeline in 2008, and Brazil's environmental agency IBAMA issued an environmental license for the project in 2013. However, as of 2019 the pipeline still remained on the drawing board.
In September 2019, government officials representing Brazil's Federal District announced plans to sign an agreement with BNDES (Brazil's National Economic Development Bank) to build the long-delayed pipeline. In November 2019, TGBC indicated that they were seeking renewed permits for the pipeline, with the goal of beginning construction in 2021 or 2022 and seeing the project commissioned by 2025. In August 2020, the company reiterated its commitment to developing the pipeline, while noting that the coronavirus pandemic might pose obstacles to its original timeline.
Articles and resources
- "Traçado do Gasoduto Brasil Central". TGBC - Transportadora de Gás Brasil Central S/A. Retrieved 2020-10-29.
- "Ibama autoriza obras do Gasoduto Brasil Central". GasNet. December 5, 2013.
- "TGBC quer gasoduto Brasil Central 100% operacional em 2025". Energia Hoje. November 29, 2019.
- "Empresa planeja gasoduto para 2025, mas pandemia é obstáculo". Jornal da Manhã. August 5, 2020.
- "RELAÇÃO DOS GASODUTOS DE TRANSPORTE AUTORIZADOS (AUTORIZAÇÃO DE OPERAÇÃO)" (PDF). ANP. May 23, 2011.
- "Processo de Outorga de Gasodutos". MME (Ministério de Minas e Energia) & ANP (Agência Nacional do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis). November 29, 2011.
- "Governo do DF quer construir gasoduto ligando Brasília a São Paulo". Agência Infra. September 3, 2019.