Central South coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Central South Coal Mine Project is located approximately 60 km west of Chetwynd, British Columbia.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate proposed mine site near Chetwynd, British Columbia, Canada.
The proposal, originally made by First Coal Corp., consists of trench excavations and remotely operated underground mining, a coal preparation plant, a power line from the BC Hydro grid, new and upgraded road construction, mine ancillary facilities, waste dumps and water collection and sedimentation facilities, rail load-out and operations camp. However, the federal review status of this mine is currently listed as cancelled/terminated. 
In 2011, Xstrata Coal, a unit of international mining giant Xstrata plc, bought First Coal. In 2012, the British Columbia Environmental Assessment Office said March 21 that, at the request of Xstrata Coal Canada Ltd. JX Nippon Oil & Energy (Australia) Pty Ltd., a subsidiary of JX, has paid US$435m in cash to acquire a 25% interest in Xstrata Coal British Columbia (XCBC). XCBC controls the First Coal tenements, and Xstrata Coal has combined the project formerly known as Lossan with neighboring First Coal tenements to create an expanded open-cut coal project, now known as the Suska project.
- Owner: Xstrata
- Parent company:
- Location: Chetwynd, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 55.4833333,-122.3666666 (approximate)
- Mine status: Cancelled
- Start year: 2010
- Mineable reserves: 26 million tons
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface and underground
- Production: 1.5 million tonnes per year
- Additional proposed production:
- Equipment: Trench excavations and remotely operated underground mining
- Number of employees: 450
Articles and resources
- Central South Coal Mine, Natural resources Canada, accessed October 2019.
- Xstrata terminates review of First Coal mine project, Transmission hub, March 22, 2012.
- CENTRAL SOUTH MINE PROJECT PROJECT DESCRIPTION, First Coal Corporation, December 15, 2010.