Centro Morelos (Huexca) power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Centro Morelos (Huexca) power station is a 724-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant, under construction (as of June 2019) in Huexca in the state of Morelos, Mexico.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in Huexca, the state of Morelos, Mexico.
The plant was first planned in 2011. Abengoa is constructing it.
Construction on the plant has stalled due to opposition. In February 2019, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador held a referendum, or "consulta" to gain support for the "mostly complete" plant. Although 60% of the referendum voters supported the project, community activists claimed the vote was "meaningless". In addition,
- "The political volatility around plans for the project spiked when an indigenous community leader, Samir Flores Soberanes, was assassinated by unknown assailants three days before the consulta vote took place. The Morelos attorney general has said the murder was not related to the project, but the community activist group that Flores led, the People’s Front, has said they blame the federal government for Flores’ death."
Samir Flores had attended an informational forum in the municipality of Jonacatepec a day before his murder and three days before the referendum. At issue is whether there will be enough water to cool the plant without harming the local environment; the associated Morelos Gas Pipeline, which will supply gas to the plant via a route that crosses indigenous lands, is also controversial.
The plant has been on hold for nearly eight years.
- Sponsor: Comisión Federal de Electricidad
- Parent company: Comisión Federal de Electricidad
- Location: Huexca, the state of Morelos, Mexico
- Coordinates: 18.801383, -98.879092 (exact)
- Gross capacity (under construction): 724 MW
- Combined-cycle unit: 724 MW
Articles and Resources
- Combined Cycle Centro Morelos – 724 MW, Abengoa website, accessed Nov 23, 2019
- Emily Pickrell, Indigenous Groups Cry Foul in Vote on Mexican Power Plant, Bloomberg News, Mar 13, 2019
- Samir Flores: el asesinato en México de uno de los principales activistas contrarios a la termoeléctrica de Morelos que el gobierno de AMLO somete a consulta este fin de semana, BBC World News, Feb 19, 2019
- Jon Martín Cullell, Asesinan a un activista mexicano en vísperas de la consulta sobre una termoeléctrica, El País, Feb 20, 2019
- "Detienen las protestas 4 mil mdp en Huexca". El Sol de Cuernavaca. January 13, 2020.