Chasnala coal mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Chasnala coal mine is a mine complex, operated Iron & Steel Company (IISCO), a subsidiary of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), in the Jharia coalfield in Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India.
The map below shows the location of mine.
Background on Mine
The Chasnala mine is operated by Iron & Steel Company (IISCO), a subsidiary of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
Chasnala Mining Disaster
In 1975, the mine was the site of the Chasnala mining disaster after an explosion and subsequent flooding killed 380 miners. The film Kaala Patthar depicts the tragedy, and Shaheed Smarak was built in the memory of the victims.
- Sponsor:Iron & Steel Company (IISCO)
- Parent company: Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Location: Jharkhand state, India
- Coordinates: 23.658882, 86.449764 (exact)
- Status: operating
- Capacity: 0.3 million tonnes per year
- Production:0.35 million tonnes (2020)
- In service:
- Coal type:
- Mining method: surface and underground
- Source of financing: