Cherkasy power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Ukraine and coal.|
Cherkasy power station (Черкаська ТЕЦ) is a 230-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Cherkasy, Cherkasy Oblast, Ukraine.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Cherkasy, Cherkasy Oblast, Ukraine.
Construction on the Cherkasy power station began in 1961, and the station reached its 230 MW design capacity in 1968. The station consists of 5 turbine units and 14 boiler units. It was originally built to provide heat and power to the Cherkasy Chemical Fiber Plant, and continues to fulfill that function today. Originally, the power station ran on both natural gas and coal, but in 2006, the power station switched to only burning coal. Although most sources list the station as having 230 MW of capacity, some state that the capacity is actually 200 MW.
In 2020, a conflict emerged between regional authorities and the Cherkasy power station. The authorities accused the power station of unnecessarily inflating tariffs for electricity and heat. One observer claimed that between March and October 2020 the power station had extorted 80 million UAH (approximately US$2.8 million) by charging tariffs in excess of the level recommended by Ukraine's National Commission for State Regulation of Energy and Utilities.
In 2020, the State Ecological Inspectorate of Ukraine found that the Cherkasy Chemical Fiber Plant and the Cherkasy power station were among the most heavily polluting enterprises in Ukraine. An inspection of the facility found numerous violations of environmental regulations, such as exceeding permitted amounts of emissions of pollutants and improper disposal of waste.
- Sponsor: JSC Cherkasy CHP
- Parent company: JSC Cherkasy Khimvolokno
- Location: Cherkasy, Cherkasy Oblast, Ukraine
- Coordinates: 49.3905, 32.0674 (exact)
- Coal type: Unknown
- Coal source:
- Status: Operating
- Gross generating capacity: 230 MW
- Turbine Unit 1: Coal-fired, 25 MW
- Turbine Unit 2: Coal-fired, 25 MW
- Turbine Unit 3: Coal-fired, 60 MW
- Turbine Unit 4: Coal-fired, 60 MW
- Turbine Unit 5: Coal-fired, 60 MW
- In Service: 1968
Articles and Resources
- Черкаська ТЕЦ, Wikipedia (Ukrainian), Accessed January 2022
- Черкаській ТЕЦ – 59 років!, Cherkasy Chemical Fiber, June 2, 2020
- Про компанію, Cherkasy Chemical Fiber, Accessed January 2022
- Черкаська ТЕЦ: підприємство сьогодні та плани на завтра, Kray, Jan. 31, 2018
- У Черкасах розгорілася «війна» між обласною владою і ТЕЦ, Procherk, Dec. 9, 2020
- Черкаська ТЕЦ обікрала черкащан близько на 80 млн грн, Cherkasiteplokomunenergo, Oct. 27, 2020
- Черкаська ТЕЦ – в сотні підприємств, які найбільше забруднюють повітря України, Suspilne, Dec. 22, 2020