Chitra coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Chitra Coal Mine is operated by Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India in Post Chitra, District Deoghar, Jharkhand, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Chitra Post, Deoghar District, Jharkhand.
Background on Mine
The Chitra (East) Opencast Project has a designed capacity of 2.5 MTPA, on a mining lease area of 780.80 ha.
A number of small quarries were operating in the area which got nationalised in 1975, and led to creation of Chitra colliery by Eastern Coalfields Limited. Two quarries namely, Chitra A & Chitra B quarries were working in the eastern part of Chitra block. The present project, renamed as Chitra (East) OCP envisages amalgamation of the existing mine workings and thereby augmenting the production level from 1.20 MTY to 2.50 MTY. The environmental clearance for Chitra East OCP (2.50 MTY) has been obtained vide letter no. - J11015/652/2007-IAII (M) dt March 4, 2010 from MOEF&CC India. The Public Hearing for the project was conducted on 17 March 2009 in six affected villages, where 586 Project Affected Families reside. The life of the project is 26 years.
- Sponsor: Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Post Chitra, District Deoghar, Jharkhand, India
- GPS coordinates: 24.118398, 86.863563
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 2.5 MTPA
- Production: 2.05 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 60.40 MT
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 780.8 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 1975
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environment Clearance for Chitra (East) Expansion Project, MoEF&CC India, 4 March, 2010
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environment Statement for Chitra (East) for year 2015-16, CMPDI
- Environment Clearance for Chitra (East) Expansion Project, MoEF&CC India, 4 March, 2010