Chittagong-Dhaka Oil Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Chittagong-Dhaka Oil Pipeline is a proposed crude oil pipeline in Bangladesh.
The pipeline will run from Chittagong City in Chittagong District, Bangladesh, to Narayanganj in Dhaka District, Bangladesh.
- Operator: Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC)
- Parent Company: Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation
- Current Capacity:
- Proposed Capacity: 60,000 barrels per day
- Length: 147 miles / 237 km
- Cost: US$304 million
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2022
In 2015, the Bangladeshi government announced it would construct a 250-km fuel oil pipeline between Chittagong and Dhaka by 2017, aiming to reduce transport cost and stop pilferage of fuel. Up until that time, the country depended on coastal tankers, railway wagons, and tank-lorries to carry both crude and refined oils to end-users after import from global suppliers into Chittagong (Chattogram) depots, as it had no major oil-carrying pipeline. As a result, fuel oil was being stolen at different points along the railway and waterway routes during its supply from Chittagong port and Eastern Refinery Limited to different areas across the country. The state-run Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) was chosen to implement the project.
In September 2017, the BPC announced that the proposed 25-billion-taka pipeline would be built by the Bangladesh Army.
The proposed pipeline will connect BPC's Chattogram tank terminal to Godnail tank terminal in Narayanganj.
While the project was initially estimated to be completed by 2017, commissioning still has not occurred as of December 2019. As of January 2019, the project is still planned for implementation. In March 2020 BPC announced that due to design changes the pipeline would not be completed until June 2022.
Articles and resources
- Army, navy to build two oil pipelines, The Financial Express, Oct. 1, 2017.
- "Bangladesh to invest in major pipeline network to transport petroleum products", Fuels and Lubricants Daily, accessed Oct 26, 2020
- "250-km Dhaka-Ctg fuel oil pipeline to be constructed", Energy News of Bangladesh, Dec. 6, 2015.
- "BPC set to install 246-km oil pipeline from Ctg to Dhaka", The Financial Express, Jan. 7, 2019.
- "Dhaka-Ctg oil pipeline in 3 years", The Daily Star, June 27, 2016.
- ঢাকা-চট্টগ্রাম তেল পাইপ লাইনের জন্য অতিরিক্ত দেড় বছর সময় চায় বিপিসি, Channel 24 BD, Mar. 7, 2020