Chittagong-Feni-Bakhrabad Gas Transmission Parallel Pipeline Project
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Chittagong-Feni-Bakhrabad Gas Transmission Parallel Pipeline Project is a proposed natural gas pipeline, currently under construction in Bangladesh.
The pipeline will run from the Faujdarhat neighborhood in Chittagong City, through Feni, and to Bakhrabad in the Comilla district of Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Operator: Gas Transmission Company Limited (GTCL)
- Parent Company: Petrobangla
- Current Capacity:
- Proposed Capacity: 800 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 112 mi / 181 km
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2020
The Chittagong-Feni-Bakhrabad gas transmission pipeline will be operated by GTCL, a subsidiary of Petrobangla. The pipeline will supply surplus imported re-gasified liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Fouzdarhat to the national gas grid to meet the overall gas demand of the country after meeting the demand of Chittagong (Chattogram) areas.
Initially, the project's implementation period was scheduled for July 2016 to June 2019, however, due to a delay in acquiring lands in the Sitakunda area, the pipeline's construction was delayed. In September 2019, GTCL reported that construction was 75% complete and that the new planned commissioning date was December 2020.
The pipeline was commissioned on Feb. 29, 2020.
Articles and resources
- Bangladesh completes first pipeline for regasified LNG, plans 3 more, S&P Platts Global, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Environmental Monitoring Report: Natural Gas Infrastructure and Efficiency Improvement Project, Asian Development Bank, December 2017.
- "Land acquired in Sitakunda for Ctg-Feni-Bakhrabad gas pipeline", The Daily Observer, Aug. 20, 2019.
- Construction of Chittagong-Feni-Bakhrabad Gas Transmission Parallel Pipeline, GTCL, accessed December 2019.
- Annual Report 2017-2018, GTCL, accessed December 2019.
- Construction of Chittagong-Feni-Bakhrabad Gas Transmission Parallel Pipeline, GAS TRANSMISSION COMPANY LIMITED (GTCL), accessed Jan. 20, 2021