Guodian Chongzuo power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Chongzuo power station (国电广西电力崇左发电厂) was a proposed 4,000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China.
In 2021, plans for the proposal were replaced by the 2,000 MW CEEC Chongzuo power station.
The undated satellite photo below shows the planned site for the plant in Chongzuo Prefecture.
Background on Project
National Energy Investment Group is planning to build a four-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 2,400 MW in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. It is to be completed in two phases of 1,200 MW（each 2 x 600 MW). Vietnam Coal and Mine Group will supply 1 million tons of coal per year to the first phase of Congzuo power station, according to a cooperation agreement among China Guodian, City of Chongzuo and Vietnam Coal and Mine Group.
Construction of phase I was originally planned to begin in 2009, but has been delayed. In 2014 it was reported that the first phase of the project, 1200 MW, had completed the preparation of the "preliminary design phase."
There was no further news on the project until 2018, when it was listed as one of three planned coal-fired power stations in the 2018-2020 Guangxi Major Industrial Plan. The capacity is listed as 2 x 1,000 MW. It is planned for construction in 2020.
In 2021, plans for this coal plant were replaced with the proposed CEEC Chongzuo power station, sponsored by China Energy Engineering Corporation.
The draft EIA for the plant was released in June 2021. According to the updated project schedule, the power plant is scheduled to start construction in July 2021. Unit No. 1 is planned to be put into operation in July 2023, and Unit No. 2 in December 2023.
On August 28 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
- Sponsor: China Guodian
- Parent Company: National Energy Investment Group
- Location: Laituan Town, Jiangzhou District, Chongzuo Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 22.483178, 107.514466 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 2,000 MW (Units 1&2: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2023
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "国电崇左发电有限公司",中国国电集团公司, 2009-12-30
- "越南将每年向广西崇左火电厂供应煤炭100万吨"Sohu-Xinhua Net, 2007-06-13
- "崇左市与国电广电公司就推进崇左电厂项目进行磋商",新民网, 2014-06-20
- “国电崇左电厂项目推进取得突破”, 中国崇左, 2014-02-12
- "2020年将开工建设四台百万千瓦级燃煤机组！广西2018-2020年重大项目建设计划表发布," 北极星电力网, 2019/1/8
- "广西崇左市拟建2台百万千瓦煤电机组," 北极星电力网新闻中心, 2021/6/24
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage". Reuters. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company". Bloomberg News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017