|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Clermont mine is a surface mine, operated by Glencore, and owned by a joint venture between Glencore, Sumitomo Corporation, J-Power and J.C.D. Australia, producing 11.5 million tonnes per annum in Clermont, Queensland, Australia.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine in Clermont, Queensland, Australia.
Construction of Clermont mine began in 2007 with operations beginning in 2010. At the time, Rio Tinto Coal Australia held the majority of interest in the mine, with 50.1% interest. The other partners were Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd (31.4 per cent), J-Power Australia Pty Ltd (15 per cent) and J.C.D. Australia Pty Ltd (3.5 per cent).
In June 2014, Glencore and Sumitomo Corporation acquired Rio Tinto Australia's 50.1% shareholding in the mine, and Glencore began to oversee the operations at Clermont. In December 2018, Mitsubishi sold its interest to Glencore and Sumitomo, allowing them to increase their control of the mine to nearly 80%.
Clermont has life expectancy of approximately 13 years. Coal is processed at Clermont and much of it requires minimal processing: 90% of the coal does not require washing. Then it is transported to rail loading facilities at Blair Athol mine. The coal is exported primarily through the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal.
- Sponsor: Glencore
- Parent Company: Joint venture between Glencore and Sumitomo Corporation (37.1325% each), J-Power Australia Pty Ltd (22.235%) and J.C.D. Australia Pty Ltd (3.5%)
- Location: Located 234 kilometres south west of Mackay and 10 kilometres north of the township of Clermont in Bowen’s Basin in Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -22.7201075,147.6195648 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 11.5 mtpa
- Total Resource: 92 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 85 Mt
- Coal type: thermal coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: surface
- Mining Method:open-cut mine
- Workforce Size: 629
- Start Year: 2010
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Clermont Mine," "Rio Tinto Coal Australia," 2013.
- Mike Cooper, "Rio Tinto to shut Blair Athol export thermal coal mine by year-end," "S&P Global Platts," August 8, 2012.
- "CLERMONT," "Glencore Australia," accessed June 2020.
- Yuka Obayashi, "Mitsubishi exits thermal coal sector, sells stakes in Australia mines," "Reuters," December 18, 2018.
- "Clermont coal mine," "Wood Mackenzie," July 4, 2019.
- "Resources & Reserves as at 31 December 2019," "Glencore," 2019.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Department of Infrastructure and Planning, "Projects: Clermont Coal Mine", Department of Infrastructure and Planning website, accessed August 2010.
Rio Tinto Coal Australia
- Rio Tinto Coal Australia, "Clermont Mine", Rio Tinto Coal Australia website. This website has copies of Rio Tinto Coal Australia's fact sheet on the project, copies of the Clermont Conveyor from 2007 to late 2009, documents from the Community reference group (CRG),Community consultative committee (CCC) and guidelines on the Community Development Fund.