Coal Creek Mine
Coal Creek Mine is a surface coal mine, operated by Thunder Basin Coal Company, a subsidiary of Arch Coal, producing 7.9 million short tons per annum, near Gillette, in Campbell County, Wyoming, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
- MSHA ID: 4801215
- Start Year:
- Owner: Thunder Basin Coal Company LLC
- Parent Company: Arch Coal
- Location: Gillette, Campbell County, Wyoming, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 43.948918, -105.291763
- Production (short tons): 7,987,838 (2018)
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Number of Employees: 134
- Mine Status: Operating
In June 2011 Blocked by a landowner, the Bureau of Land Management denied a request to lease 63.3 million tons of coal. The BLM's decision delivered a blow to the expansion of of the mine. It was the first time the BLM nixed a coal-mining application in Wyoming.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Wyoming and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- "Blocked by landowner, BLM nixes Powder River Basin coal lease" Jeremy Fugleberg, Casper-Star Tribune, June 10, 2011.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration