Coal Creek Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Coal Creek Mine is a surface coal mine, operated by Thunder Basin Coal Company, a subsidiary of Arch Coal, producing 7.9 million short tons per annum, near Gillette, in Campbell County, Wyoming, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
In June 2011 Blocked by a landowner, the Bureau of Land Management denied a request to lease 63.3 million tons of coal. The BLM's decision delivered a blow to the expansion of of the mine. It was the first time the BLM nixed a coal-mining application in Wyoming.
- MSHA ID: 4801215
- Start Year:
- Owner: Thunder Basin Coal Company LLC
- Parent Company: Arch Coal
- Location: Gillette, Campbell County, Wyoming, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 43.948918, -105.291763
- Production (short tons): 7,987,838 (2018)
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Number of Employees: 134
- Mine Status: Operating
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Wyoming and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- "Blocked by landowner, BLM nixes Powder River Basin coal lease" Jeremy Fugleberg, Casper-Star Tribune, June 10, 2011.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration