Cogen Altamira power station
|Part of the |
Global Gas Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Cogen Altamira power station is an operating 350-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Altamira, Tamaulipas, Mexico. A second 414 MW unit proposed at the same site appears to have been shelved.
The map below shows the approximate location of the power station in Pto Industrial Altamira - Altamira, the state of Tamaulipas, Mexico.
The Cogen Altamira power station was constructed by the Cobra Group for Akra Polyester S.A De C.V. (Alpek). In January 2019, Alpek signed an agreement to sell unit 1 (under development at the time) to ContourGlobal, together with development rights for a proposed second unit of 414 MW. The agreement stated that "ContourGlobal’s obligation to complete the Acquisition is conditional upon CGA1 successfully completing its commissioning tests and entering into commercial operations."
In September 2019 the Cogen Altamira plant began commercial operations.
As of December 2022 the second 414 MW unit was considered shelved as there have been no updates since 2019.
- Sponsor: Cogeneración de Altamira SA (CGA)
- Parent company: ContourGlobal PLC
- Location: Pto Industrial Altamira - Altamira, Tamaulipas state, Mexico
- Coordinates: 22.3739, -97.9038 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (operating): 350 MW
- Gross Capacity (shelved): 414 MW
- Unit 1: Combined-cycle unit with cogeneration, 414 MW
Articles and Resources
- "Alpek announces the start of commercial operations at Cogeneración de Altamira S.A. de C.V." Alpek. September 10, 2019.
- "Cogeneration Plant Altamira". GRUPO COBRA. Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- Acquisition of Combined Heat and Power Portfolio in Mexico from Alpek, ContourGlobal website, Jan 7, 2019
- "TABLA DE PERMISOS DE GENERACIÓN E IMPORTACIÓN DE ENERGÍA ELÉCTRICA ADMINISTRADOS AL 30 DE ABRIL DE 2018" (PDF). Observatorio del Ecosistema de Innovación de las Energías Limpias. April 30, 2018.
- "ACQUISITION OF COMBINED HEAT AND POWER PORTFOLIO IN MEXICO FROM ALPEK". CONTOURGLOBAL PLC. January 7, 2019.