Collinsville Coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Collinsville mine is an open cut mine owned by Glencore that produces thermal and metallurgical coal. According to Glencore’s website, Collinsville mine is part of the NCA Project, a partnership that delivers coal to international customers. The NCA Project includes the Collinsville mine, the Newlands coal operation, and the Abbot Point Coal terminal.
Mining has been a part of the landscape in Collinsville since 1866, when it was recognized as a potential coalfield. It was not until 1919 that official underground mining officially began. According to Glencore’s website, the mine transitioned from underground to open cut operations throughout the 1950s. The first large-scale open cut operations appeared in 1983, and the last underground mine completed operations in 1997.
According to Glencore’s 2019 Resources and Reserves report, “coal reserves for Collinsville are sufficient to support the planned mine life for 20 years. … Tenements for Collinsville expire between January 2021 and September 2035. Some tenements are undergoing a routine renewal process with the Queensland Government.”
In 2016, global demand for coal decreased significantly. Though Collinsville did not officially move to care and maintenance, mining operations were significantly reduced. Of the 230 jobs the mine supported in 2016, 180 were cut. The 2016 coal output was less than 1 million tonnes, less than ⅙ of the mine’s production capacity.
In early 2017, Collinsville mine began to restart operations, recruiting about 200 jobs.
- Sponsor: Newlands Collinsville Abbot Point (NCA)
- Parent Company: Glencore plc
- Location: Located in Collinsville in the northern part of Queensland’s Bowen Basin, approximately 90 kilometres south-west of Bowen.
- GPS Coordinates: -20.5567302,147.8148229 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: Annual production capacity is 6 million tonnes ROM coal. In 2018, the mine produced 3.224 mtpa.
- Total Resource: 35 Mt coking coal, 65 Mt thermal coal
- Mineable Reserves: 75 Mt thermal coal
- Coal type: Steaming coal and coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 1919
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "COLLINSVILLE OPEN CUT," "Glencore," 2016.
- "COLLINSVILLE COAL," "Glencore Australia website," accessed June 2020.
- "Resources & Reserves as at 31 December 2019," "Glencore," 2019.
- Dale Benton, "Glencore to restart the Integra Underground mine," "Mining Global," November 3, 2016.
- Harleigh Hobbs, "Glencore cutting jobs and restricting production at Collinsville coal mine," "World Coal," December 7, 2015.
- "Collinsville Mine," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed June 2020.
- Tom Major, "Collinsville marks 100 years of coal mining and plans for century ahead," "ABC News," October 14, 2019.
- "COAL," "Glencore Australia website," accessed June 2020.