Comet ridge coking coal project
The Comet ridge coking coal project is a proposed opencut coking coal mine, which would lie 60km east of Emerald and 25km south of the township of Comet in Queensland, Australia.
It is unclear whether this proposal is a going concern as the last-reported owner, Bandanna Energy, does not mention the project on its website.
The undated image below shows the approximate location of the Comet ridge coking coal project.
Coal Mine Background
Bowen Coking Coal's 2019 Annual Report says, "In May 2018 the Company announced it had entered into a binding Term Sheet with Springsure Creek Coal Pty Ltd (SCC) to sell its 100% owned Comet Ridge Project (EPC830 & MLA700005) in exchange for a $100,000 cash payment and a royalty stream of 1.25% of FOR (Free on Rail) revenue from the first 2.8Mt coal produced from Comet Ridge." In January 2020 this project was still owned by Bowen Coking Coal.
Springsure in turn is owned by Bandanna Energy which in January 2020 did not mention Comet Ridge on its website. It is unclear if anyone is pursuing this potential mining license.
Bowen Coking Coal acquired the advanced Comet Ridge project from Acacia Coal in 2017.
An application for a mining lease was submitted to the Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines in March 2015. An Environmental Impact Management Report was submitted concurrently with the mining lease application. Environmental approval has been received in August 2016. As of January 2020 the Mining Lease Application had not yet been granted by the Queensland Government.
- Sponsor: Unclear, previously Bowen Coking Coal
- Parent Company: Possibly Bandanna Energy
- Location: 60km East of Emerald
- GPS Coordinates: -24.008602, 148.372046 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 350,000 tonnes
- Total Resource: 57 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Coking coal 80% and thermal coal 20%
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Open-cut
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Bowen Coking Coal, "Comet Ridge", Bowen Coking Coal website, accessed 7 January 2020.
- Bandanna Energy, "Comet Ridge", Bandanna Energy website, accessed 7 January 2020.
- Bowen Coking Coal, "Annual Report 2019", page 10, 2019.
- via email from Bowen Coking coal 20 January 2020
- Acacia Coal, "Annual Report 2018", page 1, 2018.
- Mining Monthly, "Bowen to sell Comet Ridge for $100k plus royalties", Mining Monthly website, 22 May 2018.
- Mining Monthly, "Springsure sale beckons", Mining Monthly website, 1 April 2015.