Constanta LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Constanța LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG import terminal in Constanța County, Romania. It is also known as the AGRI LNG Project.
- Owner: RomGaz (Gov't of Romania)
- Parent company: RomGaz
- Location: Constanța, Constanța County, Romania
- Coordinates: 44.173333, 28.638333 (approximate)
- Capacity: 6 mtpa, 0.86 bcfd
- Cost: €1.2-4.5 billion (initial estimates)
- Status: Shelved
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2027
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Constanța LNG Terminal is a proposed liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal in Constanța County, Romania. The project is a proposal of Romgaz, which is majority-owned by the Government of Romania. The project was declared eligible for funding with EU funds in 2013 due to its inclusion on the first edition of the EU’s Project of Common Interest (PCI) list. The project has not been included on subsequent editions of the PCI list, meaning it would not qualify for EU funding support.
The proposed project was first discussed with Qatar in 2006. In 2010, however, the Constanța LNG terminal project was incorporated into the proposed Azerbaijan-Georgia-Romania Interconnector (AGRI) under which Azerbaijani gas would be carried by pipeline to Georgia, then by LNG tanker across the Black Sea to Constanța, then by pipeline to Central Europe. This larger project was proposed in 2010.
In March 2019 the project's sponsors stated that construction of the terminal would be contingent on development of the Azerbaijani Shah Deniz gas field, Phase 2. As of March 2021, the project appeared to be shelved, with no further development expected until 2024 at the earliest.
Articles and resources
- Lidiya Parkhomchik, Current Situation over the AGRI Project (Azerbaijan-Georgia-Romania Interconnector), Eurasian Research Institute, accessed Dec. 13, 2021
- "Azerbaijan-Georgia-Romania Interconnector project is frozen – ministry". Trend News Agency. March 10, 2021.
- Constanta LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017.
- Black Sea LNG: Dreams vs. Reality, Romania Energy Center briefing, Apr. 17, 2019
- Romania and Qatar discuss LNG terminal at Constanta, ICIS, 10 Mar. 2006.
- Azerbaijan–Georgia–Romania Interconnector, Wikipedia, accessed July 2017.
- Azerbaijan–Georgia–Romania–Hungary Interconnector, AGRI LNG website, accessed July 2017.
- Romania, Georgia and Azerbaijan to bring gas to Europe, HotNews.ro, 13 Apr. 2010.
- SOCAR: AGRI Project Needs More Time, Georgia Today, 21 Nov. 2016.
- Timeframe for implementation of AGRI project revealed, Menafn, Mar. 8, 2019