Craiova II power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Romania and coal.|
|Part of the |
Global Gas Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
The Craiova II Power Station is a 300-megawatt (MW) thermal power station located in Craiova, Romania.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Craiova.
However, as of 2015 there are no news of the plan, which appears to have been abandoned.
Coal ash spill
In December 2013, a coal ash deposit belonging to the Oltenia Energy Complex flooded 15 hectares of agricultural lands and 10 households in the Submaidane area of the Turceni and Ionesti settlements.
In the "2021-2030 Integrated National Energy and Climate Plan" the Energy Ministry states the two 150 MW coal-fired units will be replaced by a 200 MW gas unit. Work is expected to begin in 2021. The coal units will be decommissioned in 2025.
- Sponsor: Complexul Energetic Oltenia (CE Oltenia)
- Parent company: Complexul Energetic Oltenia S.A.
- Location: Craiova, Dolj, Romania
- Coordinates: 44.343502, 23.814184 (exact)
- Gross Generating Capacity (operating): 300 MW
- Unit 1: Coal-fired, 150 MW
- Unit 2: Coal-fired, 150 MW
- Gross Generating Capacity (proposed): 200 MW
- Gross Generating Capacity (cancelled): 150 MW
- Unit 3: Coal-fired, 150 MW
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Cele mai mari termocentrale din Romania"
- [www.coalmap.eu/downloads/European-coal-map-complete.pdf "European Coal Map,"] CAN, 2015
- "The study for the power plant in Rovinari to be ready this autumn," Romania Scout, May 22, 2013.
- "CE Craiova vrea o noua termocentrala," Gazete de Sud, Dec 1, 2008
- "The Article 10C Application of Romania, Bankwatch, Feb. 21, 2012
- "The future is ash-grey for people in Turceni, Romania," Bankwatch, Sep. 9, 2014.
- The 2021-2030 Integrated National Energy and Climate Plan, Romanian Energy Ministry, Apr 2020
- Romania to start Craiova 2 plant coal-to-gas conversion in 2021 - report, See News, Jul 30, 2019
- The energy sector in Romania, Bankwatch, accessed Apr 8, 2021
- Energy Production, Complexul Energetic Oltenia, accessed Apr 8, 2021
- Shareholding, Complexul Energetic Oltenia, accessed Apr 8, 2021