|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Craney Mine is a surface operation in Daviess, IN, operated by Solar Sources inc., and owned by White Stallion Energy. It is situated 2 miles south of Cannelburg, Davies County, Indiana.
This is the exact location of the mine.
Craney Mine is operated by Solar Sources inc, which was an independent family owned coal company until 2016, when White Stallion Energy purchased it. When White Stallion went bankrupt in 2020, the Bowman family that started and managed Solar Sources Inc. up until that point lost control of the company. During bankruptcy process, White Stallion halted operations in all its mines,  and the MSHA database indicates that the mine had 0 employees in 2021.  Nevertheless, its MSHA status remains as "active". The Mine had been operational at least since 1983.<ref name=MSHA>
In 2020, the mine produced 1 million tons and had 73 employees.<ref name=MSHA>
- MSHA ID: 1201732
- Operator: Solar Sources Inc
- Controller: White Stallion Energy
- County: Daviess
- State: IN
- Coordinates: 38.645608, -87.005821 (Exact)
- Production (short tons): 1,029,354
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 73
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Indiana and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- (July 10, 2002) REPORT OF INVESTIGATION Surface Coal Mine Fatal Powered Haulage Accident . Mine Health and Safety Administration. Report.
- "Alcoa Pursuing Liberty Mine Expansion in Indiana". Coal Age. August 30, 2018. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Kuykendall, Taylor (December 7, 2020). "White Stallion Energy CEO, other executives terminated ahead of coal bankruptcy". S&P Global. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Chutchian, Maria (March 19, 2021). "White Stallion bankruptcy judge rejects investigation into ex-CEO, for now". Reuters. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- U.S. department of labor, MSHA, Mine Data Retrieval System, accessed June 6 2021
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration