Cuxtal Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Cuxtal Gas Pipeline is an operating gas pipeline in the states of Tabasco and Chiapas, Mexico.
- Operator: Engie
- Parent company: Engie
- Capacity: 240 MMcf/d
- Length: 16 km / 10 miles
- Diameter: 36 inches
- Cost: US $25 million
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2020
- Related infrastructure:
The Cuxtal gas pipeline is a 16-kilometer (10-mile) spur pipeline connecting the Energia Mayakan Pipeline with Mexico's national Sistrangas pipeline system. The pipeline forms part of a much larger natural gas pipeline system, anchored at its northern end by the Sur de Texas-Tuxpan Pipeline, that connects Texas's Permian Basin with the Yucatán peninsula, a region that has long suffered from some of Mexico's highest energy prices.
Construction of the US$ 25 million project began in January 2020, with an anticipated completion date of August. As of June 2020, the pipeline was already 80% complete, according to a report from Mexico's SENER (Secretary of Energy. Mexico's natural gas agency Cenagas announced that construction was completed in September of the same year, with pre-operational tests beginning immediately thereafter. The pipeline began commercial operations in late 2020.
Proposed Expansion of Capacity
A proposed two-phase expansion of the adjacent Energía Mayakan pipeline, aimed at supplying natural gas to the proposed Riviera Maya power station in Quintana Roo, would increase capacity of the Cuxtal-Mayakan pipeline system to at least 500 MMcf/d. Phases I and II of the Energía Mayakan expansion project (also known as Cuxtal-Mayakan expansion Phase II and Phase III) are expected to take two to three years to complete.
Articles and resources
- "Pipeline project to relieve Yucatan Peninsula gas shortages | S&P Global Platts". S&P Global / Platts. February 4, 2020.
- "Beneficiará a sureste gasoducto Cuxtal I". El Norte. February 5, 2020.
- "Alistan operación del gasoducto Cuxtal l". Reforma. October 2, 2020.
- "Anuncian gasoducto Cuxtal-Mayakán de ENGIE". Energía y Debate. January 31, 2020.
- "Evaluación energética de la península de Yucatán: Vías para un sistema energético limpio y sustentable" (PDF). 21st Century Power Partnership. September 2021.
- "Mexico Embraces Gas, Scorns Renewable Energy". Global Issues. April 18, 2022.
- Arturo Solís (January 31, 2020). "Engie invertirá 500 mdp en gasoducto para Península de Yucatán". Negocios • Forbes México.
- "Cuxtal interconnection unlikely to solve Yucatán's gas dilemma". BNamericas. June 8, 2020.
- "Inicia en Chiapas construcción de gasoducto Cuxtal 1 de Pemex". La Jornada. January 31, 2020.
- "Segundo Informe de Labores (p 54)" (PDF). SENER (Secretaría de Energía). September 1, 2020.
- "Plan de Negocios 2022-2026" (PDF). CFE. December 2021.
- "Gas Pipeline To Yucatan Region To Ease Gas Shortages | Pipeline Technology Journal". www.pipeline-journal.net. Retrieved 2021-07-13.
- "Gasoducto Cuxtal: gas natural a la región y posible baja de precios de electricidad". Energía Hoy. February 6, 2020.
Related GEM.wiki articles
*add as many countries as the pipeline passes through