DOSAB cogeneration plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
DOSAB cogeneration plant, also known as DOSAB Buhar ve Enerji Üretim Tesisi, is a proposed 50-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in the city of Bursa, Turkey.
DOSAB plant was planned to be built in the Demirtaş OSB (organized industrial zone) in Bursa city. The plant was planned to provide both electricity and steam that would be used by automotive and textile companies in the Demirtaş OSB.
Background on the Plant
The first steps to develop DOSAB were taken in 2014. The first EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) report was submitted in June 2014 and was approved on July 23, 2015. Opponents of the plant argued that it would be too close to the Bursa city center and would be threaten public health. Professional chambers, academicians, health professionals, unions, and non-governmental organizations formed the Platform Against DOSAB Coal Plant (DOSAB Termik Santraline Hayır Platformu) as a part of Break Free Movement in Turkey. The platform successfully challenged the plant's permit in court and as a result, the court cancelled the positive EIA decision on May 2016.
However, in a few weeks the company had submitted a second EIA report and got approval on July 2016. The Platform Against DOSAB Coal Plant took the EIA approval to the court once again but their case was rejected in January 2018.
After this rejection, citizens' opposition escalated; members of 'DOSAB Termik Santraline Hayır Platformu' wore masks over their faces at a demonstration in January 2018 to protest the plant. Numerous local governments also objected to the plant; Nilüfer Municipality (a town in Bursa) had already opposed the plant back in October 2016, Bursa's Governor İzzetin Küçük expressed his opposition mainly due to the air pollution impacts in March 2018, and Bursa Metropolitan Municipality listed its oppositions in a July 2018 report that was approved by all members of the Bursa City Council.
The case of the proposed DOSAB plant is unique and interesting; despite the company receiving an EIA approval from the Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation, as Bursa governor and the municipality do not approve the required changes to the city plan for construction, and the plant is on hold. As of December 2018, the electricity generation pre-licence was marked as ended on EMRA's website.
As of December 2020 the project had not advanced in more than two years, and appears to be shelved.
Back in 2015, the company claimed that air quality would be improved as individual generate steam generation plants would be collected in one place, DOSAB plant. That claim increased opposition to the plant, especially from the health sector and Bursa Chamber of Medicines, who worried about the precedent of building a plant so close to the city center. The issue was brought to the Turkish Parliament several times  when representatives of all political parties in the Parliament voiced opposition.
- Sponsor: DOSAB
- Parent company: DOSAB
- Location: Demirtaş OSB, Bursa city, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.243172, 28.96442 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 50 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Opencast mines on Balıkşehir coalfield <ref name=dosabdetail6>
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "DOSAB Buhar ve Elektrik Üretim Santrali," DOSAB, accessed Dec 2019.
- "DOSAB Buhar ve Elektrik Üretim Tesisi Basın Toplantısı Yapıldı," DOSAB, Aug 6, 2014
- İklim Adaleti İçin Davalar Raporu, Ekoloji Kollektifi, 2019.
- "Mahallenin ortasında kömür santrali olur mu?", https://350turkiye.org/, Jan 29 2018.
- "Bursa Broke Free From Coal, onwards for the victory of others!", Yeşil Gazete, May 25 2016.
- Şimdi İtiraz Zamanı, Bursa Chamber of Medicines, July 12, 2018.
- "Bursa'da çevrecilerden termik santral eylemi," Cumhuriyet, 27 January 2018
- "Bozbey: Altyapı kurumları hizaya çekilmeli," Oct 6, 2016
- "Bursa Valisi Küçük de DOSAB Termik Santrali'ne hayır dedi," Bursadabugün, 27 March 2018
- "Bursa Valimiz De "Dosab Termik Santraline Hayır" Dedi," Bursa Chamber of Medicines, 12 July 2018.
- "Büyükşehir de termik santrale karşı," Bursa Municipality, Feb 15 2018.
- EMRA Pre-Licence website, accessed December 2019.
- "Chp Bursa Milletvekili Sarıbal'ın Basın Toplantısı," TBMM, Aug 16, 2016.
- "Chp Bursa Milletvekili Sarıbal'ın Basın Toplantısı," TBMM, Jan 1, 2018.
- "Bursa Büyükşehir Belediyesi Termik Santrale Karşı," Bursa Chamber of Medicines, July 12 2018.