Dabhol-Bangalore Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Dabhol-Bangalore Natural Gas Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline in India.
The pipeline runs from Dabhol, Maharashtra through Gokak, Dharwad, Gadag, Bellary, Davanagere, Chitradurga, Tumkur, Ramanagaram, Bengaluru Rural and Bengaluru Urban districts to Bangalore, Karnataka. A spur line runs from Gokak to Belgaum and Goa.
- Operator: Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Parent Company: Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Current Capacity: 5.5 billion cubic meters per year
- Length: 861 miles / 1,386 kilometers
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2013
The pipeline was commissioned by the Gas Authority of Indian Limited (GAIL) on 3 December 2013 during the inaugural ceremony of the 8th Asia Gas Partnership Summit (AGPS). This project connected South India to the national gas grid for the first time. The project was constructed in a period of 19 months at an investment of ₹45 billion (US$690 million) with a design capacity of 16 MMSCMD of natural gas which can produce 3,000 MW of energy.
The pipeline crosses Asia’s largest river crossing in rocky terrain at Ghatprabha. Construction involved laying pipeline in 60- to 70-degree slopes and sharp elevations of up to 700 meters in a 3.5 km stretch.
In 2010 farmers along the pipeline's proposed route expressed opposition to the project and concerns that GAIL would seize their land. In 2013 GAIL agreed to demands to pay farmers five times the "guidance value" for land appropriated for the project. "Guidance value" is the price (usually price per square feet) quoted by government for properties in a particular locality.
Articles and resources
- Dabhol-Bangalore Natural Gas Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed March 2018
- GAIL completes route survey for Dabhol-Bangalore pipeline, Projects Today, Jan. 22, 2010
- Press Release, GAIL, Dec. 3, 2013
- PM dedicates GAIL India Ltd's 1,000 km Dabhol-Bangalore gas pipeline to nation, The Economic Times, Dec. 3, 2013
- Goa: Farmers Oppose Underground Gas Pipeline Outlook India, Nov. 18, 2010
- Guidance value of properties in Bangalore, propertybytes, accessed March 2018