Deacero Celaya steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Villagrán, Guanajuato, Mexico.
Located in central Mexico near Celaya, Guanajuato, the Celaya mini mill was the second electric steel plant built by Mexican company Deacero S.A. de C.V. The Celaya mill began commercial operations in 1998, with capacity to produce more than 1 million tons of bars and wire rod annually. In 2006, the Celaya facility was expanded to include a second 1.1-million-ton-per-year steelmaking unit equipped with a 120-ton EAF, a ladle furnace and a 6-strand FastCast™ conticaster for high-speed casting of 120 to 180-mm billets.
Deacero originated in 1952 as a small manufacturer of fencing and barbed wire in Monterrey, Nuevo León, but the company has since grown to become Mexico's leading supplier of metal wire and one of the world's largest wire manufacturers, with three electric steel plants and a distribution network encompassing more than a dozen countries in North America, South America and Europe.
In 1985, Deacero built its first mini mill, designed to supply up to 700,000 tons of steel annually to the company's wire rod mill and rolling plant in Saltillo, Coahuila. Following the Celaya plant's 1998 inauguration and its 2006 expansion to include a new melt shop with a second Danieli electric arc furnace, Deacero opened a third steel mill - Deacero Ramos Arizpe - in 2013, raising the company's total steel production capacity to 4.5 million tons per year.
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: DeAcero S.A. de C.V.
- Owner: DeAcero S.A. de C.V.
- Other language plant name: Acería Deacero Celaya (Spanish)
- Location: Km. 64.8, Carretera 45 Panamericana, Tramo Celaya, Salamanca, 38294 Villagrán, Guanajuato, Mexico
- GPS Coordinates: 20.518556, -100.925556 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1998 (age 21–22)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: unknown (EAF)
- Steel product category: long
- Steel products: billets, bars, rebar, wire rod
- Steel sector end users: agricultural, construction, home, industrial
- Steelmaking process: electric
- Primary steel production equipment: 2 electric arc furnaces (EAF) (Danieli, 1998 & 2006)
Articles and resources
- "Presencia". Deacero. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- "Historia". Deacero. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- "Empresa Grupo Deacero". ClubEnsayos. February 18, 2016.
- "Mexico's DeAcero Will Open A $120 Million Steel Plant". Wall Street Journal. September 11, 1998.
- "The modern long products mini mill" (PDF). Millennium Steel. 2006.
- "Danieli Completes Expansion of Deacero Celaya Minimill". AIST (Association for Iron & Steel Technology). October 1, 2006.
- "Deacero en números". Deacero. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- "Deacero arranca producción en nueva planta en Coahuila". El Financiero. October 16, 2013.
- "Deacero S.A.P.I. de C.V." Canacero. Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- "DeAcero S.A. de C.V." BNamericas. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Directorio del Sector Minero: Empresas del Sector Minero-Metalúrgico". Secretaría de Economía de México. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "2020 AIST Electric Arc Furnace Roundup". AIST (Association for Iron & Steel Technology). Retrieved 2020-09-17.