December (Nampo) power station
December (Nampo) power station (12월 화력발전소) is a 50-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Chollima, Nampo, South Pyongan Province, North Korea.
It appears to be a combined heat and power (CHP) plant.
The map below shows the assumed location of the power station in Pyongan-namdo Province, North Korea (source cites "38°55'25"북 125°33'48"동)).
A 2015 report by the Korea Development Bank (KDB산업은행) provided background on the power station, including the following details (Google Translate):
- The combined heat and power plant was built to supply the electricity required by the Chollima/Cheonlima Steel Coalition (천리마제강연합기업소에) (likely related to Ch'ollima Steel Complex steel plant);
- Construction started in January 1987 with the goal of completion by 1989, but the completion was delayed due to lack of materials;
- In 1989, the Daehan Heavy Machinery Association "promoted the production of 50 MW power generation facilities to be used in the power plant";
- In 1990, part of the chimney work and the roof work of the power plant were completed, and the rebar assembly work of the boiler room and coal storage building, and the steel tower work of the substation facilities were carried out;
- In 1993, Kim Il-sung ordered the expedited completion of the power plant;
- Four out of eight 50 MW units were completed by 1997, but due to facility defects, etc., "the construction has not progressed and is in a state of neglect."
A 2016 report by the North Korea Development Institute listed the capacity as 150 MW (3x50 MW).
An undated Korea Electricity Industry Promotion Association (KOEMA) power system spreadsheet listed the proposed capacity as 400 MW, with the plant under construction in 1992.
In 2014, the power station was reportedly down ("이들 중 선봉화력발전소와 12월화력발전소 두 곳은 가동 중단 상태로 알려져 있다고 덧붙였다").
- Sponsor: Ministry of Electric Power
- Parent company: DPRK Ministry of Electric Power
- Location: Chollima, Nampo, South Pyongan Province, North Korea
- Coordinates: 38.92144, 125.56617 (exact)
- Coal type: Unknown
- Coal source:
- Gross generating capacity (operating): likely 50 MW (of an original 400 MW proposed)
- Unit 1: Coal-fired subcritical, 50 MW (start-up in 1997)
Articles and Resources
“12월화력발전소,” Ministry of Unification, North Korea Information Portal (nkinfo.unikorea.go.kr)
- “12월화력발전소,” Ministry of Unification, North Korea Information Portal (nkinfo.unikorea.go.kr)
- "Status and Future of the North Korean Minerals Sector," Edward Yoon, for Nautilus Institute, January 6, 2011
- “The North Korea’s Industry” (북한의산업.pdf), KDB산업은행, December 2015, available for download at North Korea Information Portal (nkinfo.unikorea.go.kr), Ministry of Unification
- “최신 북한 전력산업 동향 및 향후 협력전망,” 북한발전연구원, 2016
- "화력발전소(중형급) 위치 및 정보," 남북 전력발전, accessed November 2021
- "자연에너지 내세웠던 北, 전력난에 화력발전소 증설," YNA, November 26, 2014