Delong Nickel Phase II power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Delong Nickel Phase II power station is an operating power station of at least 1840-megawatts (MW) in Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating. It is also known as 德龙镍业印尼肯达里自备电厂二期.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Delong Nickel Phase II power station||Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia||-3.8282793, 122.4662306 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 08, Unit 05, Unit 06, Unit 07: -3.8282793, 122.4662306
- Unit 03, Unit 01, Unit 04, Unit 02: -3.8279104, 122.4682708
- Unit 10, Unit 11, Unit 09: -3.8274877, 122.462752
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 08||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 03||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2020||–|
|Unit 01||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2020||–|
|Unit 04||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 05||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 06||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 07||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 02||operating||coal - unknown||135||unknown||2020||–|
|Unit 10||operating||coal - unknown||380||unknown||2021||–|
|Unit 11||shelved||coal - unknown||380||unknown||–||–|
|Unit 09||operating||coal - unknown||380||unknown||2022||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 08||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 03||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 01||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 04||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 05||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 06||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 07||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 02||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 10||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 11||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
|Unit 09||PT Obsidian Stainless Steel [100.0%]|
Project-level captive use details
- Captive industry use (heat or power): other metals & mining
- Captive industry: Power
- Source of financing: 2020: Chinese institutions involved in the deal were Bank of China (BOC), China Development Bank, China Construction Bank, ICBC, Agricultural Bank of China, CITIC bank, China Merchants Bank, and Tai Fung Bank. The transaction of USD 1.05bn funded a nickel mine, a 2.5 million tonne/year stainless steel smelting plant, the thermal power project and a 40 million tonnes multi-functional port. It is not known how much was attributed to the power plant.
Background on Project
In September 2017 a contract to build the plant was awarded to Zhongtian Guoneng Power Engineering. The contract period is from October 2017 through July 31, 2019. The plant would be operated PT Obsidian Stainless Steel, a joint venture of Xiamen Xiangyu Group and Jiangsu Delong Nickel Industry Co., which owns the existing Delong Nickel power station at the same location. In August 2019 it was reported that construction of the smelter would begin in October 2019. In April 2020 the smelter's first production line began to operate. Unit 1 was commissioned in April 2021.
In December 2020, eight Chinese financial institutions announced that they had reached a funding agreement for the integrated Delong Nickel production facilities, which include the Delong Nickel Phase II power station along with a Nickel Mine, a Steel Smelting Plant, and a Multi-Functional Port. The eight Chinese institutions involved in the deal were Bank of China (BOC), China Development Bank, China Construction Bank, ICBC, Agricultural Bank of China, CITIC bank, China Merchants Bank, and Tai Fung Bank.
The power station appeared to be holding space for an additional 380 MW unit in 2022, considered Unit 11. The unit was presumed shelved.
In March 2023, the power station was described as "2×125MW+6×135MW+2×380MW", further suggesting that the power station was fully operational with ten units.
Residents living near the Delong Nickel Smelter began to complain about pollution from coal dust almost immediately after the Delong Nickel power station began operation. The coal dust regularly blows up to 3 kilometers away from the power station and coats everything, both indoors and outdoors. Children in the area have also began coughing and having difficulty breathing.
Articles and Resources
- Delong Nickel Indonesia self-supplied power plant project, 11Gang.com, Oct. 14, 2017
- Delong Nickel plans Oct stainless mill expansion, Fastmarkets, Aug. 7, 2019
- 印尼德龙二期第一条镍铁生产线正式投产, Sina, Apr. 30, 2020
- 印尼德龙自备电厂项目通过168小时试运行, BJX, Apr. 12, 2021
- Xiamen Xiangyu Nickel Mine, Steel Smelting Plant, Thermal Power Plant (1.44GW) and Multi-Functional Port Portfolio, IJGlobal, Apr. 1, 2021
- 陕鼓总包印尼8套发电装置全面并网发电, Jemian, Jun. 4, 2021
- Delong Nickel unit operating, PowerChina, Oct. 21, 2021
- 德龙镍业印尼二期三单元3×380MW机组项目9#机组并网成功, PowerChina, Jan. 21, 2022
- 陕鼓总包印尼8套发电装置全面并网发电, jiemian.com, Apr. 6, 2021
- 春节，他们坚守在工地, Power China, Jan. 24, 2020
- 科远智慧携手江苏德龙：8年精诚，共建高水平“一带一路”标杆工程, m.ccidii.com, March 29, 2023
- Warga Motui Keluhkan Debu Batubara dari PLTU Perusahaan Pemurnian Nikel, Mongabay, Sept. 21, 2020
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.