Delong Nickel Phase II power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Delong Nickel Phase II power station is a 135-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant built to power the Delong Nickel smelter in Bondoala, Konawe, South Sulawesi, Indonesia. A further 1645 MW is under development.
The satellite photo below shows the plant in Bondoala, Konawe, South Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Background on Project
In September 2017 a contract to build the plant was awarded to Zhongtian Guoneng Power Engineering. The contract period is from October 2017 through July 31, 2019. The plant would be operated PT Obsidian Stainless Steel, a joint venture of Xiamen Xiangyu Group and Jiangsu Delong Nickel Industry Co., which owns the existing Delong Nickel power station at the same location. In August 2019 it was reported that construction of the smelter would begin in October 2019. In April 2020 the smelter's first production line began to operate. Unit 1 was commissioned in April 2021.
In February 2021, eight Chinese financial institutions announced that they had reached a funding agreement for the integrated Delong Nickel production facilities, which include the Delong Nickel Phase II power station along with a Nickel Mine, a Steel Smelting Plant, and a Multi-Functional Port. The eight Chinese institutions involved in the deal were Bank of China (BOC), China Development Bank, China Construction Bank, ICBC, Agricultural Bank of China, CITIC bank, China Merchants Bank, and Tai Fung Bank.
Residents living near the Delong Nickel Smelter began to complain about pollution from coal dust almost immediately after the Delong Nickel power station began operation. The coal dust regularly blows up to 3 kilometers away from the power station and coats everything, both indoors and outdoors. Children in the area have also began coughing and having difficulty breathing.
- Sponsor: PT. Obsidian Stainless Steel
- Parent company: Xiamen Xiangyu Group (51%), Jiangsu Delong Nickel Industry Co (49%)
- Location: Bondoala, Konawe, South Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -3.9027628, 122.419577 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Operating: Units 2-7: Pre-permit development
- Gross capacity: Units 1-8: 8 x 135 MW; Units 9-10: 2 x 350 MW
- In service: Unit 1: 2021
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Delong Nickel Indonesia self-supplied power plant project, 11Gang.com, Oct. 14, 2017
- Delong Nickel plans Oct stainless mill expansion, Fastmarkets, Aug. 7, 2019
- 印尼德龙二期第一条镍铁生产线正式投产, Sina, Apr. 30, 2020
- 印尼德龙自备电厂项目通过168小时试运行, BJX, Apr. 12, 2021
- Xiamen Xiangyu Nickel Mine, Steel Smelting Plant, Thermal Power Plant (1.44GW) and Multi-Functional Port Portfolio, IJGlobal, Apr. 1, 2021
- Warga Motui Keluhkan Debu Batubara dari PLTU Perusahaan Pemurnian Nikel, Mongabay, September 21, 2020