|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Dhorwasa opencast coal mine was a surface mine of 2 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) capacity, and a part of the New Majri coal block, located near Dhorwasa Village, Tehsil Bhadrawati, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra State, India.
As per the EIA and EMP plan for the expansion of the Majri UG to OC filed with the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) India, the Dhorwasa OC mine is now closed due to exhaustion of the coal reserve.
The satellite image below shows the approximate location of the now-closed mine in Chandrapur District, Maharashtra State, India.
The Dhorwasa Opencast Coal Mine was owned and operated by Western Coalfields Limited (WCL)—a subsidiary of the state-owned coal mining company, Coal India. The mine was a twin project of the Telwasa coal mine which it adjoined to and shared a common lease boundary with. It received its first environment clearance for 1.4 MTPA on 17 May, 2007 over an area of 229.56 hectares (ha) for which the Public Hearing was held on 27 October 2005.
It further received its second environment clearance on 3 May, 2012 for an expanded capacity of 2.00 MTPA with an increased mine area of 308.6 Ha. The public hearing for second environment clearance was held on 12 December 2011. It was estimated that the life of the mine would be 3 more years at the capacity of 2.00 MTPA.
- Operator: Western Coalfields Limited
- Owner: Western Coalfields Limited
- Location: Near Dhorwasa Village, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra State, India
- GPS Coordinates: 20.065833, 79.080833 (approximate)
- Status: Closed
- Production Capacity: 2.0 MTPA
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 308.6 ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 2002
- Closure Year: 2016
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environmental Clearance for expansion in production capacity from 1.4 MTPA to 2.00 MTPA, MoEF&CC India, 3 May, 2012.
Articles and Resources
- Environment Clearance Letter for Dhorwasa Opencast Expansion Project, MoEF&CC India, 3 May, 2012.
- EIA and EMP plan for expansion of New Majri UG to OC, CMPDI, December 2020.
- Coal India Limited, "About Us", Coal India Limited website, Accessed June 2023.
- Dhorwasa Opencast Coal Mine Extension Project Six Monthly Report As On 30th September 2016, MoEF&CC India, Accessed June 2023.