Dighipara coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Dighipara coal mine is proposed by Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL) to produce 3 million tonnes per annum in Rangpur, Bangladesh.
The mine will source coal for the proposed Dighipara power station
The map below shows the proposed location for the mine
In 1995, the Geological Survey of Bangladesh discovered a coal deposit in Dinajpur spanning 24 square kilometres area, which it said had a potential reserve of 865 million tonnes of coal. In 2015, the government leased out the Dighipara deposit to the Barapukuria mining company for development. In September 2016, the coal mining company received proposals for a feasibility study of the mine, which was agreed to in May 2017.
Plans for the mine have included discussion in 2016 of a mine-mouth coal plant of 660 MW developed by PowerChina, to a 500 MW coal plant, sponsor unknown, proposed in 2017, to plans for a 1000 MW ultra-supercritical plant in Dighipara by 2025 by North-West Power Generation Company.
As of January 2019 the only remaining plan appears to be the 1000 MW coal plant by NorthWest Power Generation, planned for commissioning in 2032.
- Sponsor: Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL) 
- Parent company: Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL), Fugro Consult GmbH and Mibrag Consulting International GmbH
- Location: Dinajpur Dist, Rangpur, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 25.416667, 89.083333 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Production: 3 million tonnes per annum
- Reserve:150 million tonnes
- Start Year: 2032 (projected)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Consumer: Dighipara power station, Bangladesh
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Deal signing today for feasibility of Dighipara coal," Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017
- "Dighipara coal mine to feed proposed power plant," New Age, September 1, 2016
- "Government to build 500MW power plant at Dighipara," Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017
- Annual report 2017, NorthWest Power Generation, May 1, 2018
- "Future projects," North-West Power Generation Company website, updated November 2018
- 2016 Master Plan "Revisited", Bangladesh Power Division, Nov 2018
- RPM Global PART OF A CONSORTIUM, HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO CONDUCT A FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR BARAPURKURIA COAL MINING COMPANY LTD (BCMCL) AS PART OF THE GOVERNMENT’S ‘ENERGY SECURITY’ PROGRAM, Press Release, June 1, 2017.
- Deal signing today for feasibility of Dighipara coal, Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017