Dighipara coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Dighipara coal mine was a proposed by Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL) to produce 3 million tonnes per annum in Rangpur, Bangladesh.
The mine was expected to source coal for the proposed Dighipara power station, which was projected to be commissioned between 2025 and 2032. But, as of 2022, the plant and mine appeared to be shelved or abandoned.
The map below shows the proposed location for the mine
In 1995, the Geological Survey of Bangladesh discovered a coal deposit in Dinajpur spanning 24 square kilometres area, which it said had a potential reserve of 865 million tonnes of coal. In 2015, the government leased out the Dighipara deposit to the Barapukuria mining company for development. In September 2016, the coal mining company received proposals for a feasibility study of the mine, which was agreed to in May 2017.
Related plant proposals
Plans for the Dighipara coal mine included discussion of a mine-mouth coal plant of 660 MW developed by PowerChina in 2016, of a 500 MW coal plant, sponsor unknown, proposed in 2017, and of a 1,000 MW ultra-supercritical plant by North-West Power Generation Company Limited (NWPGCL) starting in 2015.
Based on the government plan released in November 2018, the only remaining plan appeared to be the 1,000 MW coal plant by NorthWest Power Generation, planned for commissioning in 2032. Additional information is available at the Dighipara power station wiki.
According to March 2020 reporting, the feasibility study – jointly conducted by German based MIBRAG Consulting International GmbH, FUGRO Consult GmbH, and Runge Pincook Minaroo Limited of Australia – found that Dighipara has "a high quality coal resource of 70.60 crore tonnes"; "the energy content of the coal is high and the ash content is low"; and the coal is "overlain by a very think sequence of semi-consolidated material that host large volume aquifers."
In addition, the government was expected to create a joint venture between state-owned Barapukuria Coal Mine Company Limited (BCMCL) and the Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) to extract coal. The coal mine was estimated to produce 90 million tonnes of coal in its 30-year tenure and to require a US$2789 million investment to develop.
In Feburary 2021, the "Bangladesh Mining Platform" published a detailed video on YouTube titled "Dighipara Coal Project in Bangladesh" (in Bengali). The video depicted potential coal transport via rail and the Brahmaputra River.
- Sponsor: Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL) 
- Parent company: Barapakuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL), Fugro Consult GmbH and Mibrag Consulting International GmbH
- Location: Dinajpur Dist, Rangpur, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 25.416667, 89.083333 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Production: 3 million tonnes per annum
- Reserve: 150 million tonnes
- Start Year: 2032 (projected)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Consumer: Dighipara power station, Bangladesh
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Deal signing today for the feasibility of Dighipara coal, Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017
- Dighipara coal mine to feed proposed power plant, New Age, September 1, 2016
- Government to build 500MW power plant at Dighipara, Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017
- Future projects, North-West Power Generation Company website, updated November 2018
- 2016 Master Plan "Revisited", Bangladesh Power Division, November 2018
- Dighipara has 70.60cr tonne minable coal: report, TBS News, March 9, 2020
- Feasibility Study for Development of Dighipara Coal Field at Dighipara, Dinajpur, Bangladesh-Project, BCMCL, 2017
- Govt plans to create jv co to extract coal from Dighipara, Daily Sun, March 22, 2020
- Dighipara Coal Project in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Mining Platform, February 4, 2021
- RPM Global, As Part of a Consortium, Have Been Chosen to Conduct A Feasibility Study for Barapurkuria Coal Mining Company Ltd (Bcmcl) as Part of the Government’s ‘Energy Security’ Program, Press Release, June 1, 2017
- Deal signing today for feasibility of Dighipara coal, Dhaka Tribune, May 30, 2017