Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station is a shelved power station in Elbistan/Akbayır, Kahramanmaraş, Türkiye.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station||Elbistan/Akbayır, Kahramanmaraş, Türkiye||38.17, 37.37 (approximate)|
The map below shows the approximate location of the power station.
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||shelved||coal - unknown||200||unknown||–||–|
|Unit 2||shelved||coal - unknown||200||unknown||–||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||Diler Elektrik Üretim AŞ [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||Diler Elektrik Üretim AŞ [100.0%]|
Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station is a proposed 2-unit 400 MW coal-fired power station.
Pre-development of Diler plant dates back to 2007, the time mine drilling started. In January 2013, Diler Elektrik began the environmental permitting process to build a 400-MW coal-fired power plant in the lignite coal-rich province of Kahramanmaraş. On February 6 2013, public permitting meetings held in the town of Akbayır where locals expressed opposition and on February 11 2013 another consultation meeting at ministry level held where DSİ (General Directorate of State Hydraulic Works) gave an adverse opinion as some of the mining and plant areas were overlapping the irrigation areas controlled by DSİ thus the EIA report was cancelled and the permission process stopped. 
However, later these irrigation areas controlled by the DSI had changed and the company started the environmental permitting process once again in 2016. The EIA report was given and received approval in June 2018 from the Ministry of Environment. Several citizens and environmental groups asked Kahramanmaraş Administrative Court to cancel the EIA report in June 2019
In November 2019, the court cancelled the EIA report and ordered the plant's sponsor to either come up with a new EIA report or cancel the project.
In June 2020, the Council of State overruled the lower court's decision to cancel the EIA and ordered the EIA process to begin again.
As of May 2023, with no apparent updates in several years, the power station was presumed to be shelved.
Opponents claim that the River Ceyhan was not properly considered in the EIA, which was approved in 2018. Threats to irrigation and agricultural lands as well as air pollution emissions from Diler Elbistan and the existing Afsin Elbistan Coal Complex were not properly considered, opponents claim. Diler Elbistan's generation pre-licence was ended in December 2017, and despite the EIA approval in June 2018 it still lacks a generation license.
According to a Greenpeace report published in May 2019, the plant is projected to expose 22,000 people to excessive emissions of SO2 and NO2, leading to 11 early deaths and 300 asthma attacks a year. The report also projects 5 additional cases of chronic bronchitis, 45 cases of respiratory tract infection, and 10 hospitalizations a year. As a result, throughout its expected run the Akbayir coal plant would cause 330 early deaths.
Articles and Resources
- Diler Holding Elbistan’a 400 MW’lık termik santral kuracak, Enerji Günlügü, 5 July 2018,
- Diler Elbistan EIA report, Ministry of Environment and Urbanism online EIA database, Jan 2018.
- Diler Elbistan Termik Santrali ÇED süreci başladı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 23, 2013.
- Akbayır'da termik santrale onay çıkmadı!, Enerji Günlügü, Mar. 5, 2013.
- Kahramanmaraş İli Elbistan İlçesi ÇED OLUMLU, Çevresel Etki Değerlendirmesi, İzin Ve Denetim Genel Müdürlüğü, June 28, 2018.
- Termik Santral İçin Verilen Olumlu ÇED Raporuna Mahkemeden Durdurma, Haber Türk, June 2019
- Mahkeme, termik santral için verilen olumlu ÇED raporunu iptal etti, Dec 6, 2019.
- Maraş’ta Danıştay’dan endişelendiren santral kararı, Greenpeace Turkey, Jul. 17, 2020
- 250 bin insana ve Ceyhan’a ne olacak?, Elbistanın Sesi, Feb. 8, 2018.
- Akbayır Termik Santraline ÇED onayı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 30, 2018.
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2018
- (May 2019) Elbistan ilçesi Akbayır Mahallesi’nde planlanan kömürlü termik santralin bölgenin havası ve insan sağlığı üzerindeki etkisi . Greenpeace. Report.
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.