Adana Akdeniz power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Adana Akdeniz power station (Akdeniz Termik Santrali) is a cancelled power station in Sugözü, Yumurtalık, Adana, Türkiye.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Adana Akdeniz power station||Sugözü, Yumurtalık, Adana, Türkiye||36.8178, 35.8622 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 1: 36.8178, 35.86216
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||cancelled||coal - bituminous||600 MW||supercritical||-||-|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||Diler Elektrik Üretim||Diler Holding AŞ|
Project-level coal details
- Coal source: Imported (russia, south america, or south africa)
- Source of financing:
Background on Plant
Akdeniz power station is a US$700 million coal-fired power plant proposal by Diler Enerji in the Yumurtalık district of Adana province. The plant's environmental permits were apparently approved in November 2007.
In 2014 — in a series events strikingly similar to Ayas Enerji Misis power station and Adana Klikya power station — the project was restarted, with a new Final Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) being issued in October 2014, and with the plant being renamed "Akdeniz" (meaning "Mediterranean").
The permit application was for a 270MW plant, while the EIA was for a 600MW plant.
According to the Turkey Energy Market Regulatory Authority website (December 2017), the power station's license was rejected, and it has not received an approved EIA. The project appears to be shelved.
As of June 2019 there has been no further progress and the project appears to be cancelled.
Articles and Resources
- Detaylar, EPDK website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- BAROMUZDAN ÇEVRE DUYARLILIĞI, Adana Bar Association website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- AKDENİZ TERMİK SANTRALİ: ÇEVRESEL ETKİ DEĞERLENDİRMESİ BAŞVURU DOSYASI (Final Environmental Impact Assessment Application File), Çınar Mühendislik Müsavirlik A.S., 20 Oct. 2014.
- Adana’ya yeni bir termik santral yapılacak, Energi Günlügü, 31 Oct. 2014.
- "Adana İli, Yumurtalık İlçesi sınırları içerisinde Diler Elektrik Üretim A.Ş. tarafından kurulması planlanan," 31.10.2014
- Communication with CAN Europe, December 2017
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.