Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Diler (Akbayir) Elbistan power station also known as 'Akbayır Termik Santrali' is a proposed 2-unit 400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kahramanmaraş province, Turkey.
The map below shows the approximate location where the plant would be built in Elbistan district, Kahramanmaraş province.
Background on Plant
Pre-development of Diler plant dates back to 2007, the time mine drilling started. In January 2013, Diler Elektrik began the environmental permitting process to build a 400-MW coal-fired power plant in the lignite coal-rich province of Kahramanmaraş. On February 6 2013, public permitting meetings held in the town of Akbayır where locals expressed opposition and on February 11 2013 another consultation meeting at ministry level held where DSİ (General Directorate of State Hydraulic Works) gave an adverse opinion as some of the mining and plant areas were overlapping the irrigation areas controlled by DSİ thus the EIA report was cancelled and the permission process stopped. 
However, later these irrigation areas controlled by the DSI had changed and the company started the environmental permitting process once again in 2016. The EIA report was given and received approval in June 2018 from the Ministry of Environment. Several citizens and environmental groups asked Kahramanmaraş Administrative Court to cancel the EIA report in June 2019 In November 2019 this court cancelled the EIA report and ordered the plant's sponsor to either come up with a new EIA report or cancel the project. In June 2020 the Council of State overruled the lower court's decision to cancel the EIA, and ordering the EIA process to begin again.
Opponents claim that the River Ceyhan was not properly considered in the EIA, which was approved in 2018. Threats to irrigation and agricultural lands as well as air pollution emissions from Diler Elbistan and the existing Afsin Elbistan Coal Complex were not properly considered, opponents claim. Diler Elbistan's generation pre-licence was ended in December 2017, and despite the EIA approval in June 2018 it still lacks a generation license.
- Sponsor: Diler Elektrik Üretim
- Parent company: Diler Holding
- Location: Akbayır town, Elbistan district, Kahramanmaraş province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 38.17, 37.37 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Detailed status: EIA approved; no EMRA license
- Gross capacity: 2 x 200 MW
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal type: lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Diler Holding Elbistan’a 400 MW’lık termik santral kuracak, Enerji Günlügü, 5 July 2018,
- Diler Elbistan EIA report, Ministry of Environment and Urbanism online EIA database, Jan 2018.
- Diler Elbistan Termik Santrali ÇED süreci başladı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 23, 2013.
- Akbayır'da termik santrale onay çıkmadı!, Enerji Günlügü, Mar. 5, 2013.
- Kahramanmaraş İli Elbistan İlçesi ÇED OLUMLU, Çevresel Etki Değerlendirmesi, İzin Ve Denetim Genel Müdürlüğü, June 28, 2018.
- Termik Santral İçin Verilen Olumlu ÇED Raporuna Mahkemeden Durdurma, Haber Türk, June 2019
- Mahkeme, termik santral için verilen olumlu ÇED raporunu iptal etti, Dec 6, 2019.
- Maraş’ta Danıştay’dan endişelendiren santral kararı, Greenpeace Turkey, Jul. 17, 2020
- 250 bin insana ve Ceyhan’a ne olacak?, Elbistanın Sesi, Feb. 8, 2018.
- Akbayır Termik Santraline ÇED onayı, Elbistanın Sesi, Jan. 30, 2018.
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2018