Dominion Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Dominion Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline runs from the Dominion Cove Point LNG Export Terminal in Lusby, Maryland, to Ohio, Virginia, and gas storage fields in Pennsylvania, and also into New England.
- Operator: Dominion Resources
- Capacity: 7200 Million cubic feet per day
- Length: 3,765 miles / 6,059 km
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2001
Dominion Gas Pipeline is owned and operated by Dominion Resources. In December 2017 the Cove Point LNG facility became operational as a natural gas liquefaction plant and export facility. The facility will have a yearly capacity of 5.25 mtpa (million tons per annum), which is an estimated 1 percent of the nation’s current natural gas production.
Environmental groups have challenged the LNG facility to which the Dominion Gas Pipeline connects, citing failures to consider the upstream impacts of exporting LNG. Under the National Environmental Policy Act, FERC was required to analyze the ecological impacts, but Earthjustice attorney Deborah Goldberg says it did an “abysmal job.” Locally, the group We Are Cove Point held 18 consecutive weekly rallies in 2017 against the facility at the Governor's mansion in Annapolis.
West Loop Expansion Project
The expansion project will deliver gas from Pennsylvania to a one gigawatt combined cycle power plant in Columbiana County, Ohio.
West Loop Expansion Project Details
- Operator: Dominion Energy Transmission Co
- Parent Company: Dominion Resources
- Capacity: 150 million cubic feet per day (MMcf/d)
- Length: 5.1 miles / 8.2 km
- Diameter: 36-inches
- Cost: US$94 million
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2021
Articles and resources
- Dominion Gas Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed September 2017
- Dominion Transmission Overview, NYISO Electric/Gas Coordination Working Group, accessed January 2018
- Dominion’s Cove Point plant preparing to export LNG, NPR State Impact, Dec. 27, 2017
- I Haven't Been Listening, We Are Cove Point, accessed January 2018
- Natural Gas Data, Pipeline Projects Energy Information Agency, accessed July 21, 2020
Related GEM.wiki articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Dominion Gas Pipeline (Dominion Transmission). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].