Donlin Gold Mine Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Donlin Gold Mine Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Alaska, USA.
- Operator: Donlin Gold LLC
- Owner: Donlin Gold LLC
- Parent Company: NOVAGold [50%]; Barrick Gold Corp [50%]
- Proposed capacity: 73 MMcf/d
- Length: 315 miles
- Diameter: 14 in
- Status: Proposed
- Start year: 2024
- Cost: 783.2 million USD
As proposed in 2014, the Donlin open-pit gold mine in the upper Kuskokwim River drainage would be one of the world’s largest, producing more than 33 million ounces of gold over an initial 27-year life. The 315-mile natural gas pipeline from the west side of Cook Inlet would fuel a power plant at the mine and fuel storage tanks would be built at Dutch Harbor, in addition to the very large-scale operation at the mine site. The report asserts that the planned Donlin power plant would be the largest in Alaska, would increase power generation in the state by 40 percent, and would produce enough electricity to power a city of 500,000 residents. NOVAGold is a 50 percent owner of Donlin Gold LLC, the joint venture project company, along with mining industry giant Barrick Gold Corp.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, as of April 2021 the project had received FERC approval. in August 2021, Alaska granted Donlin Gold LLC the right to lease state land to build the pipeline. Local communities opposed the community, and Earthjustice was representing these groups in a regulatory battle.
In September 2022, the Aniak Traditional Council rescinded its support for the associated proposed Donlin Gold Mine, citing the likelihood for increased barge traffic in the nearby Kuskokwim River to affect subsistence fishing by residents.
Articles and resources
- Elwood Brehmer, NOVAGold files lawsuit against authors of short sale report Alaska Journal of Commerce, July 15, 2020
- Donlin Gold LLC, Quick Facts Google Maps, accessed July 23, 2020
- National Energy and Petrochemical Map , FracTracker, February 28, 2020
- Natural Gas Data, Pipeline Projects Energy Information Agency, July 21, 2020
- U.S. natural gas pipeline projects, U.S. Energy Information Administration, April 29, 2021
- "https://www.ktoo.org/2021/08/03/state-allows-donlin-gold-to-lease-land-for-315-mile-pipeline/". Retrieved 2022-10-06. External link in
- "https://www.ktoo.org/2022/09/09/aniak-traditional-council-rescinds-its-support-for-the-donlin-gold-mine/". Retrieved 2022-10-06. External link in