Dragon LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Dragon LNG Terminal is an LNG terminal in Waterston, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK.
- Owner: Dragon LNG
- Parent: Shell (50%), Ancala Partners (50%)
- Location: Waterston, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK
- Coordinates: 51.70453, -4.99774 (exact)
- Capacity: 5.6 mtpa
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2009
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Dragon LNG Terminal is an LNG terminal in Waterston, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. The £250 million terminal began construction in 2004 and was placed in operation in July 2009. The terminal includes two jetties for LNG carriers, two 160,000 cubic meter storage tanks, regasification equipment, and export facilities. Regasified natural gas from the terminal is transported to the National Gas Transmission System via two newly constructed pipelines traveling from Milford Haven to Aberdulais and from Felindre to Tirley in Gloucestershire.
The project is located on a brownfield site, formerly the Gulf Oil Refinery, which operated from the 1968 through 1997.
According to Food and Water Europe's 2019 UK gas profile, "The £250m Dragon LNG terminal in Wales, UK is an exceptional case as the average utilisation rate for the project seems to have been 0 for the last decade. This project has been undergoing 'planned maintenance' work and doesn't appear to supply the UK with gas. Without taking Dragon into account, the average LNG utilization rate of UK LNG terminals stood at only 22% between January 2012 and March 2019, with Dragon LNG even less (~14%)."
Articles and resources
- The LNG Industry: Annual Report 2020, page 53, International Group of Liquefied Natural Gas Importers, accessed April 29, 2020
- Dragon LNG Terminal, GEO, accessed April 2017
- Dragon LNG Terminal, Dragon LNG, accessed August 2017
- Dragon LNG Terminal, United Kingdom, Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed August 2017
- Dragon LNG Shareholders, Dragon LNG, accessed August 2017
- UK Food and Water Europe, accessed December 6, 2019