Duburi Steel power station

From Global Energy Monitor
Part of the
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Download full dataset
Report an error
Related coal trackers:

Duburi Steel power station is an operating power station of at least 250-megawatts (MW) in Jindal Dururi steel mill, Jajpur, Odisha, India.


Table 1: Project-level location details

Plant name Location Coordinates (WGS 84)
Duburi Steel power station Jindal Dururi steel mill, Jajpur, Odisha, India 20.960233, 86.050308 (exact)

The map below shows the exact location of the power station.

Loading map...

Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):

  • Unit 3, Unit 4: 20.960233, 86.050308

Project Details

Table 2: Unit-level details

Unit name Status Fuel(s) Capacity (MW) Technology Start year Retired year
Unit 3 operating coal - unknown 125 subcritical 2007
Unit 4 operating coal - unknown 125 subcritical 2009

Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details

Unit name Owner
Unit 3 Jindal Stainless Ltd [100.0%]
Unit 4 Jindal Stainless Ltd [100.0%]

Project-level captive use details

  • Captive industry use (heat or power): iron & steel
  • Captive industry: Power


The Duburi Steel power station is a captive power plant that supplies the Jindal Group with electricity and power for their steel-making facilities. THe plant began operating in 2007 with the commissioning of its first 125 MW unit. Another 125 MW unit was added and began operating in 2009. 60% of the plant's coal is domestic while 40% is imported. The estimated fly ash generation produced by the facility is around 900 tons per day; nearly 85% of the ash generated is taken either by fly ash brick manufacturers or used for land fillings, while the remaining 15% is dumped in ash ponds in the form of slurry and removed yearly for land fillings.[1]

In 2018, the power plant started supplying some of its energy to the nearby Tata steel plant.[2]

Articles and Resources


  1. VISIONTEK CONSULTANCY SERVICES (February 2015). "PROPOSED MODIFICATION CUM EXPANSION (1 x 600 m³ BLAST FURNACE & 1 x 110 m² SINTER PLANT )" (PDF). Environment Clearance. Retrieved 2021-06-22.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  2. "Odisha's New Duburi grid line boost for Tata Steel". The New Indian Express. April 18, 2018. Retrieved 2021-06-22.

Additional data

To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.