ERM Wellington Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The ERM Wellington Pipeline was a proposed natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline would have run from Young, New South Wales, to Wellington, New South Wales.
- Operator: ERM Power
- Parent company: ERM Power
- Length: 219 kilometers / 136 miles
- Status: Cancelled
In 2011, ERM Power received approval from the New South Wales Planning Assessment Commission to build a pipeline that would connect the Moomba to Sydney Pipeline and ERM's proposed Wellington Gas-Fired Power Station, located in central Wellington, because of falling demand in the national electricity market and the rise in renewable energy. The Wellington Council had supported the power station when it was first proposed in 2006, but would later come to oppose it, citing residents' concerns about noise and pollution.
Articles and resources
- Planning approval for Young to Wellington pipeline, The Australian Pipeliner, Mar. 20, 2011, accessed Aug. 10, 2021.
- Billion dollar pipeline and power station abandoned, ABC News, Aug. 23, 2015, accessed Aug. 10, 2021.
- Wellington's gas fired power station canned, Wellington Times, Aug. 23, 2015, accessed Aug. 10, 2021.