Eagle Butte Mine
Eagle Butte Mine is a coal mine, operated by Eagle Specialty Materials (ESM), an affiliate of FM Coal, producing 17 million short tons per annum, near Gillette in Campbell County, Wyoming, United States.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Gillette, in Campbell County, Wyoming.
- Operator: Eagle Specialty Materials (ESM)
- Owner: FM Coal
- Location: Campbell County, Wyoming, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 44.52, -105.42
- Production (short tons): 17,055,796 (2018)
- Mineable Reserve: 425 million tons permitted 
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Operating
- Number of Employees: 281
- MSHA ID: 4801078
Eagle Butte Mine began operation in 1978. It currently produces 17.2 million tons of coal per year (Mtpa), and has estimated recoverable reserves of about 300 million tons (Mt).
In December 2017, after ownership of the mine was shifted several times due to bankruptcy, Eagle Butte was sold to Blackjewel LLC. Blackjewel is a new privately owned company, owned by Appalachian coal magnate Jeff Hoops. In May 2019, the Wyoming Environmental Quality Council refused to grant the transfer of ownership to Blackjewel, citing the company's repeated environmental violations in other states. As of February 2019, Blackjewel also owed Campbell County (where the mine is located) $8.6 million in taxes.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Wyoming and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- ↑ John T. Boyd Company,Powder River Basin Coal Resource Cost Study, September 2011
- ↑ Eagle Butte Mine, Wikipedia, accessed June 2019.
- ↑ Contura Subsidiaries Sell Powder River Basin Assets, Contura Energy press release, 11 Dec. 2017.
- ↑ EQC delays coal permit to consider company track record, WyoFile, 21 May 2019.
- ↑ Eastern violations follow coal CEO to Wyoming as mine transfers hit snags, Casper Star Tribune, 4 Feb. 2018.
- ↑ Eagle Butte and Belle Ayr coal mine owner owes $8.6 million in delinquent taxes, Casper Star Tribune, 25 Feb. 2019.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration