Earth Liberation Front Letter to International Power Australia CEO, Graeme York
In June 2009 a letter which claimed to be from an Earth Liberation Front (ELF) activist in Australia, was posted to the website of the ELF Press Office in the U.S. The letter, which was addressed to home address of Graeme York, the CEO of International Power Australia, a subsidiary of International Power, stated that he was "responsible for the dirtiest power station in Australia and the most polluting in the industrialised world ... We hold you personally accountable for this assault against our Earth. We do not take lightly to the perpetual destruction of our land-base for the selfish and short-term objective of fattening your bank account."
The purported ELF letter, which was posted to the ELF Press Office, was as follows:
Following the Australian government's refusal to act on reducing climate emission while paying into the hands of the country's largest polluters, the E.L.F paid a visit to the home of the CEO of the dirtiest Coal Power Station in the Industrialized World, Hazelwood Power Station, in Melbourne, Australia.
The E.L.F hand delivered the following note to his home:
XXXXXXXXX (Address Deleted - Ed)
XXXXX, Vic (Suburb deleted - Ed)
As the Chief Executive Officer of Hazelwood power station, you are responsible for the dirtiest power station in Australia and the most polluting in the industrialised world. You are causing irreversible environmental destruction which will go on to harm not only those living on the planet today, but your children’s children too.
We hold you personally accountable for this assault against our Earth. We do not take lightly to the perpetual destruction of our land-base for the selfish and short-term objective of fattening your bank account.
The irreplaceable and precious eco-systems of this Earth are worth much more than your manicured lawn, expensive car and opulent suburban house. Your property will not remain safe so long as Hazelwood continues to pollute at such an inexcusable level, swallow millions of litres of fresh water every hour and cough out hydrochloric and nitrogen acids in return. This Earth does not exist for the profits of avaricious CEOs like you,
The Earth Liberation Front.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "Earth Liberation Front Leaves Message for Hazelwood CEO Graeme York in Australia", Earth Liberation Front Communique, June 3, 2009.
- International Power Australia, "Hazelwood CEO Issue", Media Release, June 15, 2009. (The media contact listed on the media release is Neil Lawson.)
- Mark Buttler and Stephen McMahon, ["Earth Liberation Front threaten Hazelwood power's Graeme York", Herald Sun, June 15, 2009. (There were two versions of this story: one released at midnight on the morning of the 15th and an updated version at 11.15am).
- "Radicals threaten Australian power station boss", TVNZ (New Zealand), June 15, 2009. This AAP story was timestamped 6:04AM.
- "Activists threaten power plant's CEO", ABC News, June 15, 2009. 8:13am
- "Green group threatens power station boss", Brisbane Times, June 15, 2009. (This is an AAP story).
- Mex Cooper, "Greenpeace slams threat to power station boss", Sydney Morning Herald, June 15, 2009.
- Rebecca Keenan, "Australia’s Victoria Denounces Threat to Power Boss (Update1)", Bloomberg, June 15, 2009.
- Lauren Wilson, "Eco-terror threats in Australia on the rise", The Australian, June 15, 2009.
- "'Eco-terrorists' threaten power company boss", ABC News, June 15, 2009.
- Kellee Nolan, "Power plant boss 'lucky to be warned'", AAP, June 15, 2009.
- Kellee Nolan and Catherine Best, "Power boss lucky he was warned, say eco-terrorists", Canberra Times, June 15, 2009. (This was an AAP story, a shorter and slightly different version of which appeared above).
- Ben Doherty, "Eco-terror threat sparks law review", The Age, June 16, 2009.
- Lauren Wilson, "Eco-terrorists threaten power plant boss", The Australian, June 16, 2009.
- "Police probe activists' threats", The Age, June 16, 2009, 2:34AM. This was an AAP story.
- "Threat to power station boss remains", ABC News, June 16, 2009.
- "Ugly development in global warming debate", Editorial, Geelong Advertiser, June 16th, 2009.
- Brendan O'Neill, "Beware the greenies who think people are parasites", The Australian, June 22, 2009.
- Melissa Fyfe, "A show of power", The Age, October 25, 2009.
- Celine Foenander, "Peaceful protest or prison", "Mornings with Celine Foenander", 774 ABC Melbourne, October 13, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|