East Halmahera power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
East Halmahera power station is a proposed 90-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in East Halmahera, North Maluku, Indonesia. It is also known as PLTU Feni.
The map below shows the location of the nickel mine in Tanjung Buli, East Halmahera, North Maluku, where the plant will be built.
Background on Plant
The plant is a joint project between PT Tambang Batubara Bukit Asam (PTBA) and PT Aneka Tambang (ANTM) to power ANTM's new ferronickel plant in Tanjung Buli, East Halmahera, North Maluku. In March 2019, PTBA and ANTM stated that the project would be 3 x 60 MW and is scheduled for completion in 2023. In October 2019, PTBA announced that it was investing Rp 2.59 trillion (US$185 million) in the project, now described as a 2 x 45 MW plant. In February 2020 a feasibility study for the project was completed. In June 2020 a spokesman for PTBA said the company was waiting for guidance from MIND ID, the Indonesian mining holding company, before continuing with the project.
As of June 2021, the ferronickel plant was expected to begin operating by the end of 2021. Power for the refining process would initially be supplied by PLN. PTBA is also constructing a diesel-fired generator on-site with capacity of 3 x 18 MW, which was expected to be completed by the end of Q1 2022. A supervisor for the project stated that he hoped the coal-fired power station would be operating three years after the diesel-fired generator came online, which suggests a target completion date of 2025 for the coal-fired units.
In 2011, a financing agreement for the entire ferronickel processing plant, including the power station, was closed. Bank Mandiri, PT Bank Rakyat, Standard Chartered, and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation agreed to provide US$650 million in loans to the project.
In 2015, PT Aneka Tambang announced that it would use the proceeds of its planned rights issue worth US$376.2 million to fund its ongoing projects, including the East Halmahera Ferronickel (FeNi) smelter project.
- Sponsor: PT Tambang Batubara Bukit Asam; PT Aneka Tambang
- Parent company: PT Tambang Batubara Bukit Asam 75%; PT Aneka Tambang 25%
- Location: Tanjung Buli, East Halmahera, North Maluku, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 0.8325084, 128.2852732 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross Capacity: 90 MW (2 x 45 MW)
- Start date: 2025
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing for the entire processing plant: US$650 million in debt from Bank Mandiri, PT Bank Rakyat, Standard Chartered, and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation; part of the proceeds of PT Aneka Tambang's planned rights issue
Articles and resources
- Bukit Asam to Set Aside $1.5B to Build Power Plants in 2018, The Insider Stories, Nov. 24, 2017
- First Semester 2018, Bukit Asam Coal Mining Capital Expenditure Uptake 50%, Bursa, Jul. 23, 2018
- PT Bukit AsamTbk and PT Aneka TambangTbk Form a Joint Venture to Build a Power Plant in East Halmahera, ASEAN Power, Mar. 14, 2019
- Gandeng Antam, Bukit Asam Bangun PLTU di Halmahera Rp 2,6 T, CNBC Indonesia, Oct. 28, 2019
- Bukit Asam Guarantees Coal Reserves Availability, Power Links, Feb. 4, 2020
- Kelanjutan proyek PLTU Feni milik Bukit Asam (PTBA) masih menunggu arahan MIND ID, Kontan, June. 25, 2020
- PLN Siap Pasok Listrik ke Smelter Antam di Haltim, Republika, June 13, 2021
- Instalasi listrik smelter feronikel Antam (ANTM) akan rampung bulan Juli, June 8, 2021
- "Indonesian miner closes ferronickel loan | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- Kurniawan, Roffie. "Aneka Tambang to use rights issue proceeds for financing East Halmahera FeNi smelter". Rambu Energy. Retrieved 2020-11-05.