East Hope Metals Wucaiwan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
East Hope Metals Wucaiwan power station (东方希望有色金属公司五彩湾自备电厂) is a captive 3,940-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Wucaiwan Town, Jimsar, Changji.
Background on Plant
The first four units of the plant, totaling 1,050 MW, is owned by East Hope Group's Xinjiang Nonferrous Metal. It is located in the East Wucaiwan Jimsar County coal chemical industrial park. Unit 1 went online in 2013 and Units 2-4 went online in 2014.
Two more 350 MW units, units 13-14, are proposed and seeking permitting.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
With no developments since 2015, units 13-14 appear to be cancelled.
April 2017: Units told to shut down
In April 2017 the government halted three aluminum projects in Changji, due to a lack of permits. Units 6-9 of East Hope Metals Wucaiwan power station were shut down as a result.
Plant operates despite order
Despite the April 2017 suspension, time lapse satellite footage from Planet suggests the power station has been operating since October 2017.
- Sponsor: Xinjiang East Hope Non-Ferrous Metal Co Ltd.
- Parent company: East Hope Group
- Location: Wucaiwan, Jimsar County, Changji Prefecture, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 44.688508, 89.113841 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-12); cancelled (Units 13-14)
- Gross capacity: 3,940 MW (Units 1-12: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start year: 2013 (Unit 1), 2014 (Units 2-4), 2015 (Units 5-7), 2016 (Units 8-10), 2017 (Units 11-12)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "新疆东方希望自备电厂3号机组通过168试运," 中国电力建设集团有限公司, 2014/2/13
- "新疆东方希望有色金属有限公司," accessed Nov 2015
- "East Hope Group," accessed Nov 2015
- "关于不同意新疆东方希望有色金属有限公司年产160万吨电解铝项目配套工程的1台350MW（5号）机组试生产的复函," Xinjiang EPA, 2015-01-22
- "电解铝供给侧改革启动 违规产能限时清场," East Money, April 14, 2017