Egbema power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Egbema power station is a 339-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant under construction in Imo State, Nigeria.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station outside of Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria.
Egbema is one of several National Integrated Power Projects, which have been deemed "critical infrastructure in the generation, transmission, distribution and natural gas supply sub-sectors of the electric power value chain" by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission.
The plant was expected to be completed in 2017. In late 2018, the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) gave the contract to build the plant to the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) due to delays by the previous contractor Rockson Engineering Limited.
In September 2019, Energy Central reported that construction on the plant was not yet finished. A related transmission line and gas pipeline are also under construction. The former contractor, Rockland Engineering, said that Egbema was about 71% finished.
Nigeria's anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), opened an investigation into the NIPP power projects for alleged misappropriation of funds. NIPP was set up under the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. EFCC arrested several individuals in September 2019.
- Sponsor: Egbema Generation Company Limited
- Parent company: Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC)
- Location: Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- Coordinates: 5.565581, 6.738307 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (under construction): 339 MW
Articles and Resources
- How 8 NIPP plants scaled up power by 4,000MW, Energy Central, Sep 5, 2019
- Power Generation in Nigeria, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission website, accessed Dec 6, 2019
- Nigeria: U.S.$16 Billion Power Probe - Many Heads to Roll As EFCC's Investigation Deepens, AllAfrica, Sep 8, 2019
- Simon Echewofun, Delays: AMCON seizes Egbema, Omoku NIPP power projects from Rockson, Daily Trust, Dec 27, 2018
- Rockson Engineering explains role in uncompleted Power Projects, Nigeria World, Nov 10, 2019
- Egbema Power Plant, Niger Delta Power Holding Company, accessed May 21, 2021
- Funding and Incorporation, Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited, accessed May 21, 2021
- Egbema Power Station (NIPP), New Energy Research Project, accessed May 21, 2021
- Kenneth Okedu et al (2018). Impact Of The Independent Power Producers And National Integrated Power Projects On The Deregulation Of The Nigerian Electricity Sector, Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa (Volume 20, No.1)