El Oro-Mazatlan Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
El Oro-Mazatlán Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline in Sinaloa state, Mexico.
The pipeline runs from El Oro to Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico, passing through El Fuerte, Sinaloa de Leyva, Guasave, Salvador Alvarado, Angostura, Mocorito, Navolato, Culiacán, Elota, and San Ignacio en route.
- Operator: TC Energía México
- Owner: TC Energía México
- Parent Company: TC Energy
- Current capacity: 202 MMcf/d (2.1 bcm/y)
- Length: 267 miles / 430 km
- Diameter: 24 inches
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2016
- Associated infrastructure:
In 2012, pipeline operator TC Energy signed a 25-year contract with Mexico's Comisión Federal de Electricidad to build, own, and operate the $393 million El Oro-Mazatlán project. Construction of the pipeline started in 2013 and was completed in 2016. The pipeline runs north-south parallel to Mexico's Pacific coast, intersecting at its northern end with TC Energy's El Encino Topolobampo Gas Pipeline. Together these two pipelines form the El Encino-Mazatlán system, a key component of Mexico's north-northwest pipeline system. Gas supplied by the pipeline fuels the José Aceves Pozos power plant in Mazatlán along with the city's combined cycle plant.
The pipeline, operated by TC Energy Mexico, is 430 km (267 mi) long and 24 inches in diameter, with a capacity of 202 million cubic feet per day, or 2.1 billion cubic meters of natural gas per year.
Articles and resources
- "El Gasoducto de El Oro ya atraviesa por Mazatlán,", Debate, May 9, 2015
- "Sistema El Encino – Mazatlán,", TC Energía website, accessed March 2018.
- "Gasoducto: La Obra que generará grandes inversiones,", Debate, December 3, 2016
- "El Oro-Mazatlán Pipeline,", BNAmericas website, accessed April 2018.
- "Gas natural llegará este año a Mazatlán y Topolobampo en Sinaloa,", El Financiero, April 28, 2016
- "TransCanada expects to finish El Encino-Topolobampo natgas pipeline by year's end,", Platts, May 16, 2017.