Electric Energy, Inc.

From Global Energy Monitor

Electric Energy, Inc. (EEI) generates 800 megawatts (MW) of coal-fired power and 44 MW with natural gas in Joppa, Illinois. As an independent producer, EEI sells its power output to its shareholders, Ameren, which owns 80 percent of EEI and Kentucky Utilities, a subsidiary of LG&E, which owns the remaining 20 percent.[1]

Prior to February 29, 2008, EEI was 40% owned by Union Electric Company (UE), an Ameren Corporation subsidiary that operates a rate-regulated electric generation, transmission, and distribution business, and 40% owned by Development Company, an Ameren Energy Resources Company subsidiary and parent of Genco, Marketing Company, AFS, and Medina Valley (Development Company was eliminated in an internal reorganization in February 2008). On February 29, 2008, UE’s 40% ownership interest and Development Company’s 40% ownership interest were transferred to Resources Company, another Ameren Corporation subsidiary that consists of non-rate-regulated operations.[2]

Existing Coal Plants

Plant State Year(s) Built Capacity
Joppa Steam Plant IL 1953, 1954, 1955 1,100 MW

Article and resources


  1. "About Electric Energy, Inc.", EEI website, accessed August 2009.
  2. "2008 Ameren 10Q through June 30, 2009" EDGAR Online, Filed August 10, 2009

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources