Elegest coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
The Elegest coal mine (Элегестское угольное месторождение) is a proposed surface mine in Tuva Republic, south of Eastern Siberia, Russia.
The map below shows the exact location of the proposed mine.
The project is owned by Tuva Energy Industry Corporation (TEPK), which is owned by a businessman Ruslan Baisarov. Between 2006 and 2009 TEPK carried out exploration of the Elegestskoye coal deposit.
The project is mentioned in Russia's 'Programme for Coal Industry Development up to 2035', released in June 2020. According to the Programme, the planned capacity of the project is 15 million tonnes, with expected completion by 2026.
TEPK also planned to build a coal port terminal at Vanino Port in Khabarovsk Krai, and build the Elegest-Kyzyl-Kuragino railway to transport coal from the mine to the port for export. The train line and mine expansion were expected to be operational in 2023.
The developer explained it in a Medium post in May 2020: "Once completed, the Elegest-Kyzyl-Kuragino railway line will be 410 kilometers long of which 290 kilometers of it will run across Krasnoyarsk Territory and 120 kilometers of it will run through Tuva. We are in the process of building 127 bridges that will stretch over 10 kilometers and eight tunnels that will be around 11 kilometers long in total. The line will have a cargo transportation capacity of 15 million tons per annum for now, but we are already planning to increase this to 27 million tons. We will need this increased capacity since we are expecting the Elegest coal project to require transportation for around 15 million tons of coal every year."
However in March 2021, the Russian government ordered to postpone the concession to build the railway line Elegest-Kyzyl-Kuragino by up to 5 years. The mining works in-progress were already mothballed earlier.
- Operator: Tuva Energy Industry Corporation (TEPK)
- Owner: Tuva Energy Industry Corporation (TEPK)
- Location: Ust-Elegest, Kyzylskiy District, Tuva Republic, Russia
- GPS Coordinates: 51.565237, 94.112646 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Production Capacity: 7 mtpa expanding to 15 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable Resource: 855 million tonnes (referred to as "balance reserves").
- Coal type: Bituminous (Met)
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Элегестское месторождение, Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2021.
- "TEPK website". Retrieved October 2022. Check date values in:
- N.E. Dubovik and A.E. Vertel "Elegestskoye coal deposit - a new raw material base of coking coal", Vnedra website, accessed 30 July 2019.
- "Программа Развития Угольной Промышленности до 2035 года". government.ru. June 13, 2020.
- Investor's Globe,"Ruslan Baisarov - Owner of TEPK & Chairman of Most Company", Investor's Globe website, accessed 30 July 2019.
- Rosbalt "Дорога «Кызыл-Курагино» будет построена", Rosbalt website, 2 April 2019.
- Ruslan Baisarov and Tuva Energy Industrial Corporation’s Latest Project, Medium, Mar 11, 2020
- "Дорогу на Элегест построят в будущих пятилетках". kommersant.ru. April 2021.
- Russia & CIS Metals and Mining Weekly,"Interfax Russia & CIS Metals and Mining Weekly.(Interview)(Company overview)", archive today website, 29 December 2011.
- TEPK,"Основные параметры месторождения", TEPK website, accessed 30 July 2019.