Elimatta coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Elimatta is a proposed thermal coal surface mine, the site is located in Southern Queensland, approximately 45 kilometres southwest of Taroom.
Coal would be transported by rail to Wiggins Island Coal Terminal at Gladstone via rail.
The mine would be located approximately 45 kilometres southwest of Taroom and 380 km northwest of Brisbane, in Southern Queensland, Australia. The access would be on Perretts road which would, in the main be relocated to allow mining.
Coal Mine Background
Since 2014 there is no evidence of continuation of this proposal, but if Adani's Carmichael Coal Project is constructed the Elimatta coal mine is much more likely to go ahead as it will use the same train line to transport coal produced. At present there is no mining in the Galilee Basin. The commencement of the Adani mine would change this and could mean that a number of the other proposals in the area are also advanced.
Northern Energy Corporation were developing proposals for this site which was bought out by New Hope Coal in 2011. The Elimatta project has progressed through the Land Court process. The Environmental Impact Statement has been approved, subject to conditions in July 2014. The lifetime of the proposal is for 40 years.
- Sponsor: Taroom Coal
- Parent Company: New Hope Group
- Location: approximately 45 kilometres southwest of Taroom and 380 km northwest of Brisbane, in Southern Queensland, Australia.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.021614, 149.613529 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed; Shelved.
- Production Capacity: 8.2 mtpa
- Total Resource: over 259 million tonnes
- Minable Reserves:
- Coal type: Thermal coal
- Mine Size: The project area covers 4,460 hectares
- Mine Type: Surface mine
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- New Hope Group "Elimatta" New Hope website, accessed 13 September 2019.
- Mining Link "Elimatta"MiningLink Website, accessed 13 September 2019.
- Jemima Burt, "Adani could be 'ice-breaker' for six more proposed Galilee Basin mines, resources body says" ABC News, 11 Jun 2019.
- Northern Energy Corporation, "Northern Energy Corporation highlights company progress" Ferret, 3 March 2008
- Department of Environment and Heritage Protection "Environmental impact statement assessment report under the environmental protection act 1994" page 62 Queensland Government website, July 2014.