Elko coal mine project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Elko Coking Coal Mine Project is located in the Crowsnest Coalfield of the East Kootenay Coal Basin in British Columbia and is owned by Pacific American Coal Ltd.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate proposed mine site near Chetwynd, British Columbia, Canada.
In 2018, the company signed a contract with an established drilling contractor to drill up to 11 exploration holes at the site. Assays and analytical results, including an updated geological model, were planned for completion in the first quarter of 2019. The exploration program was delayed by an extended regulatory process as well as the extreme wildfire season across British Columbia.
Pacific American Holdings Ltd has secured the Notice of Work (drilling permit) approval for its Elko Coking Coal Project for a further five years, through to September 2024. The new information gathered from this drill program is aimed at allowing the company to complete a pre-feasibility study as well as define the reserves on the property.
- Owner: Pacific American Coal Ltd
- Parent company: Pacific American Holdings Limited
- Location: Elko, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 49.2990491,-115.1197198 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year: 2018
- Mineable reserves: 257 million tons
- Coal type:
- Mine size: 3571 ha
- Mine type: Surface
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Pacific American Coal begins exploration at Elko project in British Columbia, Proactive, July 11, 2018.
- Pacific American well-funded to launch 2018 exploration program at Elko Coking Coal Project, Proactive, May 9, 2018.
- Pacific American ready for next round of drilling after extending Elko Coking Coal permit, Proactive, September 26, 2019.
- Pacific American Coal readies exploration program at Elko coking coal project, Proactive, June 6, 2018.