Emco Zambia power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Zambia and coal|
Emco Zambia power station is a proposed 340-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Zambia.
The map below shows Sinazongwe, the approximate location for the power station.
In September 2012 the Zambia government signed an implementation agreement with EMCO Energy Zambia of Canada-based EMCO Energy for a coal mine and power station in Sinazongwe, at a cost of US$1.0 billion.
In July 2013 it was reported that EMCO Energy Zambia planned to construct a 600MW thermal power plant in Sinazongwe at a cost of US$690 million. The power generated from phase one (300 MW) of the plant would be supplied to Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation (ZESCO), while the power from phase two (300 MW) would be supplied to a variety of customers in the region.
In October 2015 ZESCO said it expected to complete the Power Purchasing Agreement for the plant in the next month with EMCO Energy Zambia, and construction was expected to begin over the next two months.
In December 2017, the Zambia Development Agency signed a US$1 billion investment agreement with EMCO Energy Zambia Limited for the construction of a 340 megawatt coal plant in Sinazongwe district.
There have been no further developments on the project, and it appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: EMCO Energy Zambia
- Parent company: EMCO Energy
- Location: Sinazongwe district, Southern Zambia
- Coordinates: -17.25, 27.466667 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 340 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Sinazongwe
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Govt, Emco Deal to Address Power Deficit," The Zambian, September 21, 2012
- " New thermal plant to boost Zambia's power supply," African Review, July 14, 2013
- "Zambia Electricity Supply signs power purchase agreement with EMCO Energy," September 23, 2014
- "Zambia’s Sinazongwe Coal Power Plant To Be Established Soon," Footprint to Africa, Oct 22, 2015
- "Zambia: 600MW coal-fired power plant PPA pending," ESI Africa, Oct 30, 2015
- "Zambia Development Agency and EMCO Energy sign $1 billion investment agreement," Lusak Times, December 19, 2017
Related SourceWatch articles