Emile Huchet power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Emile Huchet power station is a 1,473-megawatt (MW) coal- and gas-fired power plant in the department of Moselle, France.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Saint-Avold, the department of Moselle, France.
The power station originally consisted of six coal-fired units, commissioned from 1951 to 1981. Units 1 and 2 were retired in 1983, and unit 3 retired in 2003.
In 2015, E.ON reported that unit 4 (125 MW) was not operational and unit 5 (343 MW) mothballed. Units 4 and 5 were closed permanently in 2015 due to the impact of the Industrial Emissions Directive.
Only unit 6 (647 MW) remains operational of the first six coal units. E.ON is planning to run unit 6 until 2022. Additionally, E.On’s reorganization will move its fossil fuel assets into the new company Uniper starting in 2016.
The power station also consists of two 413 MW combined cycle gas plants, which began operating in 2010.
In July 2019, Czech EPH successfully concluded its buy-out of Uniper's activities in France, including the Emile-Huchet power station. EPH plans to retire the plant's coal unit in 2022, when France phases out coal power use.
There are multiple reports of Total SA acquiring the power station. In their 2019 Factbook, Total said the planned 2020 purchase was pending review of authorities. In August of 2020 the European Commission announced the purchase of the plant (via EPH's subsidiary Kernaman SAS) by Total had cleared review.
- Sponsor: Kernaman SAS
- Parent company: Energetický a průmyslový holding (EPH)
- Location: Saint-Avold, the department of Moselle, France
- Coordinates: 49.1526, 6.7018 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 1,473 MW
- Coal Type: Bituminous/Lignite
- Coal Source: Imported
Articles and Resources
- "Emile-Huchet Coal Power Plant France," GEO, accessed April 2016
- "E.ON Facts and Figures," E.ON SE, March 11, 2015
- "G7 coal phase out: France," E3G, Sep 15, 2015
- "Uniper signs agreements to sell its generation business and distribution activities in France to EPH". Uniper. 2019-07-04. Retrieved 2020-09-23.
- Total to acquire 800 MW French gas assets in Sept – union Montel, Jul 31, 2020
- Factbook 2019, Total, July 2020
- EPH Annual Report 2019, EP Holding, Jun 12, 2020
- Case M.9870 - TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE / KERNAMAN, European Commission, Aug 17, 2020
- The EC clears Total's acquisition of the Emile Huchet CCGT plant (France), Enerdata, Aug 20, 2020
- Global Power Plant Database v.1.2.0, ID WRI1002724 World Resources Institute, June 2019
- ENTSO-E Transparency Platform, ID 17W100P100P00105 accessed November 2019
- Open Power System Data December 2018
- ENTSO-E Transparency Platform, ID 17W100P100P00113 accessed November 2019