Enhance Place mine
The Enhance Place mine operated from 1997 to 2005 as an open cut mine. A 2017 environmental management report stated that the mine “was established … to recover remnant coal from areas previously open cut mined in the 1950’s. A principle objective of Enhance Place was to provide the means to improve the appearance and general amenity of the land through the rehabilitation of land previously impacted by mining.”
By June 2005, all the economically feasible coal had been extracted. In total, the Enhance Place mine extracted 609,940 tonnes of coal during its lifetime.
Since then, the focus has been on rehabilitation. According to the same 2017 environmental management report, “surface water control, rehabilitation of land-form with seeding and fertilisation, feral animal and weed control programmes have been implemented with final rehabilitation nearing completion.”
Though the coal mine’s longest mining lease extends through 2023, it appears unlikely that the mine will reopen operations.
The undated image below shows the approximate location of the retired mine.
- Sponsor: Enhance Place Pty Ltd
- Parent Company: Enhance Place Pty Ltd
- Location: Located in the Western Coalfields of NSW at Blackmans Flat, 15km northwest of Lithgow and approximately 3km southeast of Mount Piper Power Station.
- GPS Coordinates: -33.4033131,150.089431 (approximate)
- Status: Care and maintenance since 2005
- Production Capacity: 89,000 tonnes in 2004, its last full year of operation
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 0 Mt
- Coal type:
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Open Cut
- Start Year: 1997
- Source of Financing: