Ennore LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Ennore LNG Terminal is an operating LNG terminal in Port of Ennore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
The terminal will be in the Port of Ennore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Owner: Indian Oil Corporation Limited (90%), Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (10%)
- Parent company: Indian Oil Corporation Limited (90%), Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (10%)
- Location: Port of Ennore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Coordinates: 13.259407, 80.337425 (approximate)
- Capacity: 5 mtpa, 0.72 bcfd
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start year: 2019
Ennore LNG Terminal is an LNG terminal in Port of Ennore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Construction of Chennai LNG Terminal is expected to be completed in 2018 and includes two 180,000 cubic meter LNG storage tanks, importing facilities, and a regasification terminal. The terminal's 5 mtpa receiving capacity is expected to increase to 10-15 mpta in the future. On commissioning, it will supply up to 20 million cubic feet of natural gas daily to industrial consumers and 18 million cubic meters of natural gas daily to southern Indian states. The gas will be used for power plants, fertilizer units, industrial, domestic, and transportation sectors.
Work on Indian Oil Corporation Limited's (IOCL) ₹5,151 crore LNG import terminal at Ennore has been completed and the facility is likely to receive its first consignment by the end of February 2019. The terminal also has regasification and storage capabilities and LNG road tankers loading facility. Sources in IOCL said that construction of the terminal and jetty facilities was complete and pre-commissioning and commissioning of various systems was in progress. Dredging work for the jetty and the channel that would bring cryogenic ships carrying natural gas in its liquid form is nearing completion. Construction of the terminal with a capacity of five million tonnes per annum began in November 2015.
The terminal entered commercial operation in March 2019.
Articles and resources
- GIIGNL 2021 Annual Report, accessed May 5, 2021
- Chennai LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- Projects, India Infra Monitor, accessed August 2017
- ["https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/iocls-ennore-lng-terminal-ready-expects-first-consignment-this-month/article26293637.ece#!", IOCL’s Ennore LNG terminal ready, expects first consignment this month] The Hindu, accessed May 2019
- PM inaugurates IOC's Ennore LNG terminal, Times of India, Mar. 6, 2019