Erdenet power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
Erdenet power station is small coal-fired power station with a 50-megawatt (MW) coal unit expansion under development at Erdenet, Orhon, Mongolia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Erdenet, Orhon, Mongolia.
A May 2014 brochure for the Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo referred to an expansion of the Erdenet power plant as one project for which international investment was being sought.
In March 2016, it was reported China’s Hunan Industrial Equipment Installation (HIEI) and the Ministry of Energy planned to expand the plant to 50 MW total. Around 85 percent of the investment is a Chinese concessional loan (to be recovered in 7.5 years), with the remaining financed by Development Bank of Mongolia.
A groundbreaking ceremony for an expansion of the plant to 50 MW was held in March 2019.
As of October 2020, the Mongolian government reports the renovation project is 90% complete and on track for commissioning in 2021.
This expansion project was projected to cost US$53 million. A US$51.8 million loan was provided by the Export Import Bank of China. The rest of the funding came from a loan from the Development Bank of Mongolia and equity from Chinggis bonds, which are issued by the Mongolian Ministry of Finance.
Project Details of Expansion
- Sponsor: Hunan Industrial Equipment Installation
- Parent company: Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy
- Location: Erdenet, Orhon, Mongolia
- Coordinates: 49.0408, 104.098 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 50 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: US$51.8 million in debt from the Export Import Bank of China; US$600,000 in debt from the Development Bank of Mongolia; US$600,000 in equity from Chinggis bonds issued by Mongolian Ministry of Finance
Articles and resources
- "蒙古国额尔登特热电厂扩建项目开工_中国电力化工网," 中国电力化工网, March 28, 2016
- Timofeev et al., "Geochemical transformation of soil cover in copper–molybdenum mining areas (Erdenet, Mongolia)," Journal of Soils and Sediments volume 16, pages 1225–1237 (2016)
- "Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo," page 6
- Khaliun Chimeddorj, "Groundbreaking ceremony for Erdenet Thermal Power Plant expansion takes place," UB Post, March 31, 2016
- "湖南安装:驰骋于蒙古高原的"铁血湘军," 株洲新闻网, July 27, 2017
- "额尔登特电厂改造项目举行奠基仪式," 驻蒙古经商参处, March 25, 2019
- "Эрдэнэтийн дулааны цахилгаан станцын шинэчлэлтийн төсөл," energy.gov.mn, October 5, 2020
- "Erdenet thermal power plant expansion to finish within a year," GOGO Mongolia, March 28, 2016